Packo88
Level 1: Cadet

Reporting a fault with Telstra tower

Answered

Hi, My phone (and my wifes) cannot get make or receive calls from a certain tower near our home. I have driven around town using an app on my phone called "Aus phone Towers" to see which tower I am connected to to do some fault finding. My service is faultless everywhere apart from this one tower. I can use data no problem but making and receiving phone calls is an issue. I have checked service outages for the area and none are listed for the postcode 2779 on this link. https://tel.st/92wek

The tower in question is:

• Telstra Site Opposite 40 Railway Parade Hazelbrook NSW
  • Site ID10012052
  • Lat: -33.7236
  • Long: 150.454

How do I go about getting this issue resolved ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Reporting a fault with Telstra tower

Given that you are on ALDI, your ability to access that particular tower will depend on whether it is a Telstra Wholesale or Telstra Tower. ALDI uses the Telstra Wholesale network, so doesn't have access to all the Telstra Towers.

You will need to contact ALDI to report any issues wwith your service as they are your provider. They can be contacted on 1300 989 000 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter

You've missed one critical piece of information. What model phone, and did you buy it through Telstra or another retailer?

That tower is a small cell only and only operates on the 700MHz LTE band, so your phone needs to be able to use VoLTE (the status bar on the top of your phone screen isn't showing a VoLTE indicator).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Packo88

Hi, Thanks for your response.

Phones we have tried are

Samsung Galaxy S10+ was bought outwrite and I cant remember where I got it but has been using Aldi mobile sim

Samsung Galaxy note 20 ultra 5g bought outwrite through JB HiFi. Also with Aldi sim.

Both phone have worked fine in the area up until mid June. 

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Given that you are on ALDI, your ability to access that particular tower will depend on whether it is a Telstra Wholesale or Telstra Tower. ALDI uses the Telstra Wholesale network, so doesn't have access to all the Telstra Towers.

You will need to contact ALDI to report any issues wwith your service as they are your provider. They can be contacted on 1300 989 000 

View solution in original post

Packo88

Thanks for all the info provided.

I will get a Telstra prepaid sim and start the issue again.

Facepalmer

This problem happens in several areas where Telstra wholesale is involved.   It seems to be something that changes, also (i.e. towers work today, stop tonight).   The point that is repeatedly glazed over is that these wholesale provided services are connecting to towers where they successfully access data services, but cannot access voice services.   This is NOT by design and is unacceptable.  At best it compromises the user's phone when in range of these "off limits" towers, and at worst it puts people at risk by jamming their service (even from making emergency calls) when their phone is in range of the offending tower.

The idea that this is normal or acceptable is incorrect.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

When you are referring to being “not by design and is unacceptable”, please clarify what are you saying *should* occur?.

Are you saying that mobile devices on the Telstra wholesale mobile network should not access remote towers for neither calls nor data?.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more