Yipeng
Level 1: Cadet

Retrieve a not active Telstra number

Hi There

Got an urgent problem. 

I am currently travelling overseas, didn't check SMS regularly. I just found out my telstra prepaid number was no longer active since last 22 Nov. 

I have tried to recharge it but failed.

I called customer service team and online chat with customer service team as well, got feedback is I can't take my old number back.

Called Telstra prepaid team again to confirm, representitive talked to me that it is still a on-going process, I can switch prepaid to post paid if the de-activate process finishes and I can still use my old number.

The old number is very important to me, all my bank info, credit card, insurance and etc are associated with it. I can't change my number.

Any one can help me with that, please?

Many Thanks,

A very frustrated Telstra customer

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
JessicaCL
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Retrieve a not active Telstra number

Hi Yipeng,

Apologies for the delay in replying to your post. Has this since been resolved?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Delicateskink

You cannot change your prepaid number to a postpaid account.

If you don’t recharge your prepaid account at least once in 12 months, you lose the number.

Make sure you turn off mobile data, when you are using wifi.

Your phone will automatically switch over to data, when the wifi signal is weak and some apps will choose data over wifi, when in use. So go through your apps and turn off mobile data for those which are non essential.
Make sure you turn off push notifications for your emails and turn off background app refresh.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@Delicateskink just to correct some errors in your post (which doesn't deal with the problem that the original poster had anyway).

A PrePaid service can be converted to Post Paid and vice versa, it is done all the time.

A Prepaid service is deactivated and the number returned to the pool 6 months after the last recharge expires (so if you were on a PrePaid plan that had a 12 month expiry, the number wouldn't be deactivated until 18 months after you last recharged).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Delicateskink

My apologies, it seems I accidentally pasted an unrelated reply in the last half and I am unable to edit it.

I recently tried to get my son’s Telstra prepaid number changed over to a Telstra postpaid account and I was told by the call centre representative that it was impossible to do so, so I had to get a new service and number.

She also said that the prepaid number and service would be cancelled after 12 months, if I didn’t recharge. Obviously she was wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more