Level 1: Cadet

Roaming on prepaid in NZ

Answered

I have Telstra prepaid Max, and will be in NZ for a few weeks. Previously I have used this in roaming in NZ without any problem using the "extra credit". Now I am confused, it looks like Telstra have simply cut roaming off altogether: 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/services-kb/we-re-phasing-out-a-few-pre-paid-features/ta-p/89...

The critical information summary still states that roaming is supported; but "overseas use" is not.

https://www.telstra.com/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/pre-paid/personal-critical-i...

So, will the phone be able to receive or make a phone call in NZ?

The phone was bought from Telstra store, I assume its locked. Is it possible to stick a local NZ SIM in it?

Given that Telstra appear to be revoking the roaming service I paid for, can they at least unlock my phone so that I can still have a phone service

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming on prepaid in NZ

Yes. International Roaming is not available on Telstra Prepaid until some time mid-2021.

If the phone is locked, you will need to get it unlocked to use a local NZ SIM in it. The fee will depend on how old the phone is ($80 max). Unlocking can take up to 72 hours.

Send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It may take a few hours to get a response, but you will receive a notification through the app.

The other option is to change to a Post Paid plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming on prepaid in NZ

Yes. International Roaming is not available on Telstra Prepaid until some time mid-2021.

If the phone is locked, you will need to get it unlocked to use a local NZ SIM in it. The fee will depend on how old the phone is ($80 max). Unlocking can take up to 72 hours.

Send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It may take a few hours to get a response, but you will receive a notification through the app.

The other option is to change to a Post Paid plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more