ArtsletBackward
Level 1: Cadet

Robotic voice

Hi,

All year my calls (mobile) friends calls, work calls in to internet voice rooms, generally many people get 'robotified' voices randomly during calls. Their voice slows down and becomes tinny and robotic sounding. It may revert back to normal sometimes. What's going on with the mobile call network? Are calls being routed through VOIP or something or systems that can't handle the proper call transmission? It's not just one (my account) I hear this complaint from number of people.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
iPat91
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Robotic voice

Hey @artslet

That sounds like a strange issue to have! Have you been in touch with our tech support team to get to the bottom of this?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

That is odd behaviour. It doesn't sound like something that can occur with a mobile call. Problems with mobile calls will result in the volume reducing or the voice dropping out. It can't result in what you are describing. 

It can happen with some older conference systems, but not with the newer ones (Zoom, Teams, etc).

Which phone are you using?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ArtsletBackward
Level 1: Cadet

It's a Pixel 3a. I thought maybe the phone was using 'wifi calling' as I did opt in to try that sometime ago, and the phone would have a 'wifi call' indicator, but I turned the wifi call feature off on the phone specifically to try and fix this problem but I still notice it happening. I do recognise it as the similar effect older VOIP and internet call issues could have. On the large group work calls we make through WebEx with people dialling in, some of us would get the effect at the same time for the same people, but others would say there was no change. It was the exact same effect/sound. But I get it on normal calls. I wonder if maybe my call is 'normal' but they might have been using WiFi calling without realizing.

Jupiter

I've never had that effect on WiFi calling. It will do it every 20 seconds or so for a fraction of a second,  but have never had it slow down then speed up. 

It could be the way the handset handles a delay, but Samsungs don't do it that way. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - if your Pixel 3a has VoLTE activated, your phone will use the 4G network for Voice and Data connections which require packet switching meaning for voice calls, you are using VoIP on the mobile network. If you are located in a marginal 4G coverage area or driving whilst on the phone, you may be switched to a 3G connection which I understand uses circuit switching technology for the voice component and packet switching for the data. 

I have found on my Apple iPhone 6, that if Wi-Fi Calling is activated but a strong 4G signal exists, the call is directly connected via 4G. A WebEx conference bridge would be receiving calls from many different sources depending on where it is hosted - landlines, VoIP lines, Softphones, mobiles connected to a variety of generations from various signal strengths and then it has to adjust all these incoming levels as best it can to compensate for variances. Distortions may be introduced to the conference calls or internally through the WebEx system itself. If you are constantly getting these symptoms, are in close proximity to a 4G cellular base station, stationary at the time and the called party is in a similar situation, not talking handsfree in a car or truck using handsfree through the car radio travelling at 100 km/hour in a tunnel, then it may an issue with the Pixel. If you are experiencing it on every call, then it may point to the Pixel.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more