Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Serious roaming issue on Prepaid

I urgently need to access my Telstra phone number while abroad in France. I am unable to reach anyone at Telstra to help, so I am posting here.

The issue

When I insert my Telstra SIM in my iPhone, one of the following will happen:

• I immediately see "no connection"
  • I see 1 or 0 connection bars for 30 seconds or so, followed by "no connection"

I am in Paris, and my French SIM has no problems getting a signal.

I have tried everything I can think of with no success:

• restarting phone
  • resetting network settings
  • turning 4G off
  • trying my SIM in a different phone
  • I have also recharged my Pre Paid Max yesterday until April 5, in case that caused the issue

Thank you for your help

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Serious roaming issue on Prepaid

Hi @lepire 

I assume you have International Roaming active?

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming 

And you have checked your mobile has the right available frequencies to access their carrier network?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Hi @Ozmoz,

I am using an iPhone X which previously worked fine in France on Telstra. Roaming worked a month or so ago on the same Telstra SIM, so I don't think I need to activate it. I have checked on My Telstra and I don't see any option for roaming.

Highlighted

@lepire wrote:

Hi @Ozmoz,

I am using an iPhone X which previously worked fine in France on Telstra. Roaming worked a month or so ago on the same Telstra SIM, so I don't think I need to activate it. I have checked on My Telstra and I don't see any option for roaming.

Hi @lepire 

Are you able to go into your account and check to make sure "International Roaming" is still activated?

Highlighted

Hey thanks for the suggestion but I can’t find this setting, not on the My Telstra app nor on the website. Where exactly should it appear?

Highlighted

@lepire wrote:

Hey thanks for the suggestion but I can’t find this setting, not on the My Telstra app nor on the website. Where exactly should it appear?

Hi @lepire 

My Telstra app

1. Open the My Telstra app

2. Select Services in the bottom bar then select your service to view more details

3. Scroll down to International roaming and select Manage.

Telstra 24x7 My Account

1. Sign in to Telstra 24x7 My Account  using your Telstra ID

2. If you have more than one account, you will need to select the relevant account from the blue bar at the top of the screen

3. Select the service you want to activate international roaming on

4. Scroll down to International Roaming and select Activate

5. Press Confirm

Highlighted

I don't see this option for my service on the App nor on the website. When I chat to the chatbot it tells me it is activated by default.

It still isn't working and I have no idea what to do.

Highlighted

Same here, even I have recently travelled to India, and my international roaming is not working, it always shows Emergency calls only in my Samsung galaxy s11+ device.

I tried all the steps as you have done and of no use.

Unable to contact Telstra due to covid19 restrictions.

Even I have posted a separate thread but no response yet.

I am Just thinking, did I do a mistake to switch from Optus prepaid to Telstra prepaid.

Highlighted

It's completely unacceptable that Telstra cannot provide any meaningful support to customers abroad like you or me, who depend on being able to access their service at such a critical time.

Highlighted

Agreed. I tried all the options, like sending them a message via twitter but still no proper support.

In case if they provide any reply over this community, it would very generic response, like chat with customer support, or call them, when they knows that, they don't have their customer support people working, who can chat or respond to our queries over the call and resolve this issue.

It's so frustrating, last time when I visited India, I was using Amaysim by Optus and it was awesome in roaming with full network coverage everywhere. But i thought Telstra is the most popular brand so I ported to Telstra almost an year ago. But now I feel that my decision was wrong.

Not sure, what shall I do, unable to understand, as there is no one to help.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more