jezzzzza
Level 2: Rookie

Service SMS not received

Answered

After the port from Optus to Telstra prepaid, everything was working fine. Long story short, they had to do a sim swap after activation, so what ended up happening was they activated a new sim with a new number for me with recharge on it and then changed the number to the one I wanna keep.

Ever since the number change, I haven’t been able to receive any telstra sms voicemail notification or myGov verification code (or any service SMS from a non-standard sender...ie SMS with senders like telstra, NAB and etc instead of a standard phone number). No problem with sending sms to my friends or receiving sms from them. Nothing wrong with my phone as I tried to reset and even tried it in different phones without any luck.

This is driving me insane not to mention I can't most things relying on 2-step verification. Customer service is no help as they had no idea why this is happening. Wasted 4 days trying to get them to fix it for me. Does anyone know what might have gone wrong and how to fix it? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Service SMS not received

It sounds like there may be a setting on your account that is interfering with another setting (there are quite a few). It may take a couple of the L2/3's to bounce around ideas to figure out what is going on.

Give them a good 48 hours to look into it before chasing it back up again, and if you don't get any decent information after 72 hours, you should lodge it as a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter

It sounds like the porting process hasn't been completed fully.

I would be asking Telstra to contact Optus to make sure that everything has been completed fully (Optus have to put a redirect record in the numbers database to redirect incoming calls/messages to look to the Telstra network).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jezzzzza

Hi Jupiter, after porting from optus to telstra, everything was fine. the problem only started after telstra shifted my number to a new telstra sim after the new sim was activated with a temporary number (long story, it was an attempt to fix a recharge issue I had).

Dowser
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

I wonder if the setup (when issuing the new Telstra SIM) was done properly.

I suggest a visit to a Telstra store & requesting another brand new SIM. The process might correct an amiss  parameter.

Then possibly run some tests before leaving the store.

jezzzzza

Hi Dowser, Thanks for the response. my local Telstra store now requires appointments and my working schedule does not allow me to do that very easily. Nevertheless, I quickly went in and grabbed a replacement sim earlier this week and later called Telstra to activate it instead of waiting around the store. Unfortunately, the problem persisted after a sim replacement. It is really weird...after they activated the sim card, I first got an email saying activation of a new number was completed, and then a second email saying the number was changed to my regular number. L2 just called me and the lady said there appear to be some problems, but I actually don't think she knows what's going on either...she said she would escalate it to L3.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

It sounds like there may be a setting on your account that is interfering with another setting (there are quite a few). It may take a couple of the L2/3's to bounce around ideas to figure out what is going on.

Give them a good 48 hours to look into it before chasing it back up again, and if you don't get any decent information after 72 hours, you should lodge it as a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

View solution in original post

jezzzzza

Thanks Jupiter Smiley Happy I'm leaving it to them for now since it just got escalated to L3. You seem to know quite a lot about this. Are you working for Telstra by any chance? If you are in the department and interested in this whole mess, I would love to send you the case ID. haha

Jupiter

No. I don't work for Telstra, but have heard enough from insiders to know how complicated the various settings on an account can be. It's one of the problems when you have systems that are continually evolving to take into account new methods and technology. I suffer similar problems in my line of work. Continuous improvement is a great thing until things go wrong and you have to unwind the improvements to work out what is the root cause of what is happening.

jezzzzza

ahhh. yea that makes sense. I'm a diagnostician myself, albeit not in telecommunication. Smiley Happy

JimmyDe
Level 1: Cadet

Did you get a resolution to this? I have the exact same issue now.

jezzzzza

Yea I did. It was fixed by a L3 support. I never heard from the person per se after escalating to them, but about 2 days after the escalation, i was getting all the messages that were missing all at once.

keep a log of when and where the messages are supposed to be from. they will ask for that when you request for L3 support. 

JimmyDe
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Jezzzzza,

It was escalated 4 days ago and I have given some examples and times of texts being sent for them to investigate.

I hope they fix it soon as its impacted my work significantly. Thanks again for sharing.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more