Freddo
Level 2: Rookie

SOS

Last night we lost all internet, mobile and landline services, for hours. Should I have had a need for emergency services eg: fire or ambulance, would the mobile service on SOS mode have enabled me to contact "000" or not.

I was on emergency "call back" for Lismore Base Hospital and couldn't be reached. An interesting situation.

No word from Telstra as yet to explain outages!

Allan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: SOS

That would depend on whether there were Mobile Towers that were still active in the area that could pick up the signal from your phone.  Dialling 000 overrides the network settings and puts the phone in a high power mode in order to give the best chance of getting a signal through. There is also circuitry in the Towers that prioritse the signal for a 000 call.

Unfortunately, if there is no signal at all, then there is no way of contacting emergency services.  If it is critical that you haave some method of contacting emergency services at all times, it might be worth investing in a UHF radio (CB - not handheld) and have that set on Channel 5 with the Duplex Repeater function switched to "On". This will bounce through any Trucks that are travelling through the area and a message can be passed through. Might be worth having a chat to your local emergency services (police or SES would be a good starting point) to see what htey would recommend.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: SOS

Over 18-19 May we had an issue impacting customers in Taree and centres along the north coast, which was caused by third party damage to two cables. Our crew have successfully repaired the cables and all services have been restored.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more