Shimz
Level 2: Rookie

Switched from Optus to Telstra now can't receive calls

Answered

I switched from Optus to Telstra a few weeks ago and ever since making the switch I have been unable to receive calls and only seem to receive some texts (I can however make calls). A ticket has been raised with the tech team however they insist on calling me to provide me with an update (despite my many requests for an email update). This is obviously very problematic given I am unable to receive calls due to an error in the porting process. I have been trying to have this resolved for far too long and am getting nowhere. They have promised numerous times to email me updates but have failed to do so on each occasion. No one I speak to on their messaging system is able to provide any kind of update at all and in fact insist that the lack of updates is my fault as they are unable to ring me. There seems to be absolutely no way to get an update or an estimate of when it will be fixed and each time I try I end up going around and around with information I have already provided and solutions already tried that don't work. Can anyone shed any light on how to get this resolved once and for all?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shimz
Accepted Solution

Re: Switched from Optus to Telstra now can't receive calls

UPDATE: I finally managed to speak to someone over the phone and after a 1.5 hour conversation the issue has thankfully been resolved. It was indeed a porting error as I had been suggesting all along and when this person eventually believed me and chose to investigate this as a potential source of the problem, it was fixed within 5 minutes. If this path of investigation had been pursued initially I wouldn't have had to go through all of this stress trying to have the problem fixed. I am no technician and even to me it was obvious that this was the cause so I can't understand why Telstra chose not to consider it initially and instead chose to try and convince me it was due to network maintenance and outages. I actually found out they weren't pursuing it with the porting team at all. This seems to be a relatively common issue but one Telstra doesn't seem to consider at all when a fault is lodged. My advice to anyone who suspects this to be the cause of any problems they are experiencing is to pursue this relentlessly with Telstra - I'd hate to think how long the problem would have continued for if I had done nothing and simply waited for them to figure it out themselves. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

As you describe your situation .....You should lodge a complaint

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Have you tried resetting your network settings and restarting the phone?.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Can you receive any calls at all? The usual problem is that Optus hasn't completed the porting process properly, which would mean that you can receive calls from Telstra phones but no-one else. It's a problem that should be able to be fixed within 48 hours.

If you can't receive calls at all, then it is a provisioning problem rather than a porting problem and can take longer to be resolved (as they have to work out what is causing the problem).

Given that you can't receive calls, it should be obvious to them by the description of the problem that you can't answer their calls.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Shimz

Multiple times.

Shimz

I have received a call from a landline on 2 occasions but everyone else gets a message saying that my phone has been disconnected. I am constantly being given differing timelines - 24hours, 5 days and today was told 10 business days. It appears no one at all knows what the issue is (or if they do they aren't communicating that to me) and any suggestion by me that it may be a porting or a provisioning problem is always ignored.

Shimz
Accepted Solution

UPDATE: I finally managed to speak to someone over the phone and after a 1.5 hour conversation the issue has thankfully been resolved. It was indeed a porting error as I had been suggesting all along and when this person eventually believed me and chose to investigate this as a potential source of the problem, it was fixed within 5 minutes. If this path of investigation had been pursued initially I wouldn't have had to go through all of this stress trying to have the problem fixed. I am no technician and even to me it was obvious that this was the cause so I can't understand why Telstra chose not to consider it initially and instead chose to try and convince me it was due to network maintenance and outages. I actually found out they weren't pursuing it with the porting team at all. This seems to be a relatively common issue but one Telstra doesn't seem to consider at all when a fault is lodged. My advice to anyone who suspects this to be the cause of any problems they are experiencing is to pursue this relentlessly with Telstra - I'd hate to think how long the problem would have continued for if I had done nothing and simply waited for them to figure it out themselves. 

View solution in original post

Dowser

I’m glad that you fixed it.  It’s unfortunate that your tenacity was vital in finding resolution.

In an ideal world somebody in Telstra would analyse your experience and make changes to avoid its repeat.

Katrina676
Level 1: Cadet

I’m having the same issue but I can receive calls from everyone except those on the Optus network and I’m not getting text notifications for those on optus the text is just there. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has experienced issues around porting from Optus to Telstra. 

Dowser

Based on the experience of @Shimz  you should contact Telstra Support and ask to be directed to the porting team.

Katrina676
Level 1: Cadet

Yep, I’ve already been in touch and have been told it will be 2-4 business days before they sort the issue. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more