MichaelBlucher1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Technicolor DJA0231 - Content Sharing (SMB) does NOT work

Our Telstra Smart Modem 2 was recently replaced.

The new model "Technicolor DJA0231" has a completely different style of Interface to the old one.

Content Sharing (SMB) worked on the Old Modem without issues.

We had a 2GB Seagate Drive Connected and it worked perfectly.

On the New Modem Content Sharing (SMB), we are unable to get this drive to work.

The drive is okay,. We CANNOT access it via wifi. The following message comes up.

Failed to retrieve share list from server. Connection times out.

We need this to work as this drive is our households central backup.

The SMB Content Sharing cannot be accessed via either Windows or Linux.

As noted before, it worked perfectly well with the old "replaced" modem

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Technicolor DJA0231 - Content Sharing (SMB) does NOT work

What was the model of your old modem?

What is the firmware version of the new modem? The firmware is displayed on left hand side of modem's log in page.

Have you tried enter \\:192.168.0.1 into the address bar of windows file explorer?

MichaelBlucher1

The old modem looked the same, but was an Arcadyan LH1000 under the hood.

192.168.0.1 just takes me to the modems login page and yes, I can log in and set up the Seagate drive.

The Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 interface on the Technicolor DJA0231 is completely different to the old Arcadyan LH1000.  There settings on the old Modem under Content Sharing that don't exist on the new Modem.

The problem is, once set up, the drive itself cannot be accessed.

I can see it from Windows and Linux, I just can't access it.

This worked fine on the old Modem.

Product Vendor:      Technicolor
Product Name:        Technicolor DJA0231
Software Version:     20.3.c
Firmware Version:    20.3.c.0329-MR19-RB
Hardware Version:    VCNT-A

cf4

I made a mistake should have entered \\192.168.0.1 in the address  bar of windows file explorer. Use file explorer not a web browser. It should take you to the usb drive.

The only difference between the two modem in the way that they share USB drives is that the LH1000 model by default uses SMB 1 and the DJA0231 with that version software uses SMB2. 

MichaelBlucher1

Yes, that was the missing option from the new modem. On the old mode, you could choose the SMB version.

Entering \\192.168.0.1 on Windows results in a popup box titled Network Error. 

I can search the network and find the drive, but that does the same thing when I try to access it.

It use to work.

On Linux, I get a box that says:

Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out

Again, I can search the network and see the drive, I simply can't access it.

Again, it use to work.

cf4

Is the drive recognized by the modem and is file server enabled (Advanced > Content sharing)?

MichaelBlucher1

The drive is recognised by the modem and comes up in the drive list.

The File server is enabled

The DLNA is also enabled.

I should mention this is Modem Number 3

Number 1. Technicolor DJA0231

SMB worked.

Replaced due to faulty landline jack

Number 2. Arcadyan LH1000

SMB worked.

Replaced due to development of frequent and random internet drop outs

Number 3. Technicolor DJA0231

SMB Issue. Can see the USB drive over network.  Can't access it.

cf4

The DJA0231 used to use SMB1. It is only the latest firmware update that upgraded modem to SMB2.

Have you tried other USB drives?

MichaelBlucher1

I only have the one USB 2TB drive.

Is this a firmware version dependent issue?

I have tested the connection on 3 Windows boxes (2 Laptops and Desktop) and

2 Linux boxes (Both Laptops).

The result is the same on all.  I can see the USB drive.  I just can't access it.

cf4

You might have a faulty modem. I am able to access the USB drive on my DJA0231.

To test if its the USB drive is causing problem try going to \\192.168.0.1 with the USB drive ejected. You should see empty folder with no error pop up message. 

MichaelBlucher1

I've ejected the USB drive and I get the same results

I can see the SMB share, but there is no access.  Just the same error messages.

I can't say much about quality control on these modems. 

This is the 3rd one and it also looks to be faulty.  And the crazy part. They're all faulty in a different way.

Each time I receive a new Modem, I have to enter all our settings all over again.

Is there any way to back the modem settings up, so I can simply restore the backup to a new modem?

cf4

The LH1000 modem's settings can be backed up but there is no option for backing up the DJA0231 modem's settings. 

If you can see the USB at \\192.168.0.1 but can't access it tends to indicate there might be a compatibility issue between modem and USB drive. If you don't have another USB drive to try you could repartitioning and formatting the drive. Back files on drive before repartitioning.

MichaelBlucher1

I'm finding things a little odd. 

The LH1000 can back up settings but the DJA0231 cannot  

Yet they are both Telstra Smart Modem Gen2's.   Different specifications? 

Something went wrong in their development process I think.

My Seagate USB hard drive works with the 1st DJA0231 and the LH1000, but not with the 2nd DJA0231

That does not make sense at all.  It is the same drive.  And the drive works. 

I've just connected it to my linux laptop and tested it. Works fine.

I'll test the USB port with another 2TB drive, when I can find another drive. 

Until then I can test the USB port with a couple smaller of USB "pen" drives.

cf4

The two modems are made by different companies. Non of Telstra's Technicolor modems have a backup option. For some reason Telstra has hidden the backup on the Technicolor modems. Other ISPs with similar model Technicolor modem's have a back up option. I was told the backup was hidden because it saved some hidden settings that caused problems.

Does the first DJA0231 have the same firmware as tihe second?

MichaelBlucher1

Well I've tested this now with 3 different pen drives.

They all get exactly the same result, as with my 2 TB Seagate USB drive.

The modem recognizes the USB drive and registers them

I can see the USB drives over the network with out any problems.

Problem:  Although I can see the drives, I get the previously noted error messages when trying to connect.

This is now proven to be a problem across:

• Multiple USB drives
  • Multiple Network devices, at least 5 (laptops and desktops)
  • Multiple Operating Systems (2 distributions of Linux and Windows)

Does this mean the USB port is faulty?????

cf4

If both DJA0231 have the same firmware it does tend to indicate that the USB port on the modem. When you contact support they will probably refer you to platinum support which is fee for service. If the port proves to be faulty the fee is waved. 

MichaelBlucher1

To find out the firmware version of the 1st DJA0231, I would have to find it, connect it up and then take note of the details.  It was replaced over a year ago and I'm not certain that we still have it laying around.

We will contact Telstra support and see what they can do.

They are not a lot of fun.  It took us months and finally an email to the ombudsman to convince them that the 1st modem had a faulty Phone jack. Only then did they analyse the problem properly and concur with my conclusions.

No doubt analyzing a faulty USB port will be equally spurious.

It can be very frustrating.  We will loose all our settings once more and I will have to restore them all from memory. Mainly static IP leases and password changes.

Note: Telstra support has a habit of factory re-setting the modem remotely and then leaving us to wonder why we can't log in. Their 1st level of support can be very frustrating.

Thanks again for all your help

Michael B.

cf4

If the first DJA0231 has been used in two years it would have had earlier firmware and used SMB1. When a USB  drive plugged into modem's USB port a hidden directory is set up named .mvfs. This directory contains the data indexing files for DLNA server. This directory if made on the earlier modem with earlier firmware might be preventing access. You could try deleting this directory on the USB drive.

I have about 30 static leases and about 20 port forwarding rules. I save the setting to text file. The MAC address can be copied from the test file and pasted into modem's settings. To make the text file I highlight the static lease settings in the modem, then copy them to clipboard and paste them into the text. I do the same for the port forwarding rules.

MichaelBlucher
Level 2: Rookie

Removing the .mvfs folder has not had any effect.

The drive can been on the network as a samba drive, but just can't be accessed.

Could this be a file system compatibility issue?

What drive file systems are compatible?

The drive is ntfs and the modem does seem to recognise the drive.

cf4

FAT32 EXT2  NTFS, HFS+ 

ACroker
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Michael, I can see you're experiencing a complex problem with connecting these external drives successfully to the new modem. I noticed you mentioned the support channel before but in case you don't have it, here is the link to our Platinum support page where you'll be able to get further assistance with it if required https://tel.st/amktfs.

- Ash

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I take it your Windows PC's are now set up in Default which is SMB2.0 and not rolled back to SMB 1.0 from the original Technicolor modem SAMBA linkage. I have tested USB drives on the Technicolor DJA0230 and DJA0231 with firmware 20.3.c.0329-MR RB on both modems and in both circumstances, from my Windows PC,  I can see the USB drive mounts without issue and I can use \\192.168.1.1 ( in my case) to access the files on the drive - Icon SCSI_DISK1_268d comes up first and when clicked the files are shown. 

According to Whirlpool Technicolor Modem Discussion forum posts, for USB connectivity, this current firmware replaced the Open Source Linux based SAMBA with non-open source Visuality NQ API which translates the Linux based commands to SMS 2.0 and SMB 3.0. 

For me, all seems to function well from Windows and Linux PCs. The only issue I have identified is that our Mac Mini with Big Sur cannot get access to the USB drive - same conditions occur as you have experienced. I looked at the Log files and saw some conflicting entries ( Export to text file and import into a spreadsheet for viewing) . SAMBA still appears in the Technicolor line entries and it appears to disconnect and the other reason for the Mac failure was that " a secret question missing" - I assume it was looking for a challenge.

I am not sure if SAMBA and NQ are co-existing or remnants of SAMBA are conflicting with NQ.  The Mini Mac connects fine with our home Arcadyan set with SMB 2.0 with external USB drive connected as it is challenged with User ID and Password. Technicolor appear to not favor a challenge and use anonymous access - no User ID or password required. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more