Sas326
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart modem gen 1 in bridged mode to external router that has lan aggregation

Answered

hi, I have purchased an ASUS RT-AX88U and has LAN aggregation port on Wan port and LAN port4

I have tried to put it in bridged mode and fail when it comes to connecting to the internet ( the Modem Fail to reconnect to the WAN, I have to reset to factory setting to make it work again.

is there here anyone so kind to post a process of bridging the smart modem gen 1 to a modern router i.e the port aggregation feature?

I thank you in advance.

Sas 

P.S. the network in the household is pretty busy 25-30 devices daily connected 4 Working at home 4 studying at home plus personal devices iPods Ipads iPhones TVs PlayStations, the Smart Modem gen 1  has been grossly outsmarted...  

SaS 326
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart modem gen 1 in bridged mode to external router that has lan aggregation

Connect WAN port of ASUS to NBN NTD

Set WAN Connection Type to "Automatic IP".

Enable WAN set to "Yes"

Enable NAT set to "Yes"

Enable UPNP setting depends on whether you will be using UPNP devices.

Connect to DNS Server set to "Yes"

Authentication set to "No"

Host name leave blank

MAC Address leave on default.

See page 70 of manual.

Connect WAN port of Telstra modem to LAN port of ASUS router

If you have trouble wit phone Disable or Enable SIP passthrough

See page 80 of manual.

C

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4

Re: Telstra Smart modem gen 1 in bridged mode to external router that has lan aggregation

What type of NBN connection do you have? If you have an FTTN or FTTB type connection and want to use the smart modem as VDSL modem with its router function disabled there are instructions 14 of the document linked at bottom of this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-DJA0230-manual-Unofficial...

In Bridge mode you will only have internet on the smart modem's LAN ports. The WAN port is not used.

If your connection is not FTTN or or FTTB the WAN port of ASUS router can be connected directly to WAN port of NBN NTD. 

Sas326

I have FTTC connection to nbn. Do you have the set up to inser into the asus router any step instructions please 

SaS 326
cf4
Accepted Solution

Connect WAN port of ASUS to NBN NTD

Set WAN Connection Type to "Automatic IP".

Enable WAN set to "Yes"

Enable NAT set to "Yes"

Enable UPNP setting depends on whether you will be using UPNP devices.

Connect to DNS Server set to "Yes"

Authentication set to "No"

Host name leave blank

MAC Address leave on default.

See page 70 of manual.

Connect WAN port of Telstra modem to LAN port of ASUS router

If you have trouble wit phone Disable or Enable SIP passthrough

See page 80 of manual.

C

View solution in original post

Sas326

telstra modem in bridged mode ?

SaS 326
cf4

For phone to work Telstra modem should be in normal mode.

Sas326

For The Record and future reference on the subject.

it was as Simple as:

1 connect the Telstra Smart Modem gen 1 (no matter if bridged or not) make sure the internet light is green and active.

2 Disconnect the WAN Cable from the Telstra Smart Modem 1.

3 Connect WAN cable to WAN Port of the ASUS Router.

4 Connect to The ASUS Router and go to the Admin Page Start the wizard

It set itself up in 73 seconds.

Very happy with the Purchase of this router WI-FI coverage increase by 70% WI-FI speed increased by 70 % 

it is coping with all the Household traffic very easily compare the struggling that Smart modem 1 had us used to.

Lost the back up SIM line ( I have attached a USB internet dongle and I do have backup internet anyhow thanks to Telstra again for not locking the sim to the Smart Modem)  and phone line that i didn't use anyhow

Thank you for the help 

SaS 326

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more