Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice

What is the range of this modem? Obviously it depends on the signal strength but a min/max range would be helpful. I’ve looked at the discussions on the Telstra site which has accepted solutions that don’t offer any real answer to this question in the discussion...?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice

Too many variables to give a reliable answer is why.

An open plan house with few walls would give the greatest range, as there are few obstructions to the signal.

Metal sheeting is one of the worst obstructions and will greatly reduce range, so will foil backed insulation.

I can get a signal in the middle of my house, from my neighbour's modem over 25m away and that is through 2 brick walls, a wooden fence and 4 plasterboard walls.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

The range of the modem also depends on the WiFi capabilities of the WiFi client. Some of my devices are able to connect at 40 Meters to the modem through three brick walls. Other devices can't connect at a distance of 15 meters from the modem through two brick walls.

To illustrate the effect of the clients WiFi performance has on the distance the two images below are the WiFi heat map of the Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem  LH1000 measured using the Telstra home dashboard app on two different devices.

Wow that’s great news! Thank you Smiley Happy

Sounds good Smiley Happy thank you

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more