Dazza37
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra smart modem instead of Nighthawk

Can I use our telstra smart modem to do the same thing as our Nighthawk.

We want to go travelling in our caravan and will use it as an internet booster to connect our 2 mobile phones and other tablets to.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra smart modem instead of Nighthawk

Not really..  do you have a problem with the Nighthawk or are you looking to reduce costs while travelling?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dazza37
Level 1: Cadet

Yes want to reduce costs but also have a strong wifi network when phones cannot get enough signal.

Also need the extra data over and above mobiles to watch the occasional movie

cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

You can't use modem with the existing SIM but if the SIM is replaced with a normal Telstra SIM and the mobile settings changed so that it uses telstra.internet as APN and the PDP type changed to IPv4v6 it can be used as a mobile broadband modem.

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

You could put a standard mobile broadband sim into the Smart Modem, change some settings and have the correct power or 240VAC...

But mobile broadband costs could be very high, especially movies etc.  If the places you will stay have free (or minimal  cost) wi-fi that would help you.

Is there a problem with your Nighthawk? That has quite decent mobile broadband capability and you can attach an external antenna (can't do that with the Smart Modem)..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more