WFPL
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Tower upgrades

Telstra has been upgrading local towers to the 5G network lately which seems pretty pointless to me considering I am lucky if I get 2 bars on my 4G device, usually it is 1 bar and I am not that far from local towers. I think Telstra should finish upgrading the 4G network before getting all carried away with 5G. Concerns me that my mobile phone service will be worse than it is currently because of Telstra's rush to upgrade to tech only city dwellers will be able to use. Sorry  but truly dumb. Not that I am overly surprised.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Tower upgrades

They are implementing 5G and upgrading the 4G network concurrently so that they can shut down the 3G network in 3 years.

What model phone are you using and what locality are you in?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
WFPL

I am using a Samsung S10 and I live on the Vic/NSW border in Echuca/Moama.

Jupiter

If you're on the Echuca side, I would expect that you should be getting pretty good reception. My Note10+5G is sitting on 2 bars of 4G and pulling 100-200Mbps downloads and voice calls are flawless.

Even on the Moama side, reception should be pretty good. The tower there is in line for a 3rd 4G frequency to be activated, probably the same time as the 5G upgrade occurs.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
WFPL

Well I hope it improves after the upgrade on the Moama side because my reception is not good. I have 1 bar while typing this message.

JED51
Level 2: Rookie

I too have an Apple iPhone 12 Pro- if I am lucky in off peak I receive 40 mbps (5G) and during peak periods 14- 20 mbps. When I walk 150 metres up the road towards a Telstra tower I can obtain speeds of up to 700mbps. According to the Telstra coverage maps I should receive a strong indoor and outdoor signal however this is not the case. Will Telstra build new towers or enhance the strength of the 5G signal in my suburban area.

Jupiter

Depending on the frequency band in use, this is often the case with 5G. The 3500MHz band has a far shorter range than the 850MHz band.

Which part of Echuca/Moama are you in?

JED51
Level 2: Rookie

I live in Mulgrave Victoria- about a kilometre from the nearest 5G tower.

Jupiter

There are a number of 5G towers in the area, and a couple of new ones planned. See RFNSA

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more