MJD58
Level 1: Cadet

TP-Link Archer MR400 compatibility

I had been asked to replace a NightHawk M2 with a TP-Link Archer MR400 as the M2 does not have a usable ethernet port. When power up the MR400 I get the following message.

"Internet not connected. Internet unavailable due to no 3G or 4G signal. Please position the antennas upward and place the router in a location where it can get a good 3G or 4G signal reception."

Searching the net I get a lot of conflicting information on whether the MR400 will work on the Telstra network.

Has anyone successfully got this device to work or is it a dud?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: TP-Link Archer MR400 compatibility

The MR400 doesn't support 850MHz UMTS or 700MHz 4G, so that is probably why it doesn't work.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MJD58

Thanks, can you elaborate a bit more, Telstra broadcast both 3G and 4G on multiple frequencies why are these 2 frequencies so important?

Jupiter

The 850MHz UMTS band is the only 3G band that Telstra uses. Whilst the MR400 supports a number of the LTE (4G) bands that Telstra uses, the 700MHz band is the one that has the longest range and best building penetration and is the primary band used outside of heavily built up areas (like city CBDs).

To see what bands the towers in your area use, enter your address into rfnsa.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MJD58

Thanks Jupiter, the closest tower only uses the 700 & 850Mhz. TP- Link advertise this unit as a 3G/4G plug and play and it clearly is not on the Telsta network

Jupiter

No. It's not. It would work on the Optus 3G network, but that's about it unless you were living in the inner city.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more