tjcoda
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to stream video over UDP on IPv6-only connection

Answered

When connected through 4G or 5G, Telstra phones appear to be provided either:

1. Both an IPv4 address (CGNAT in the 10.0.0.0/8 range) and IPv6 addresses
  2. Only IPv6 addresses

depending on the state/location you're in. In cases when only the IPv6 addresses are provided, devices appear to be able to negotiate connections via UDP and send packets, but this data is never received at the destination server. TCP (e.g. via NAT64) is working fine in this scenario, and connecting to wifi or another provider also prevents the issue.

Testing on an iPhone 12 in Brisbane by enabling/disabling airplane mode, the device is not given an IPv4 address around 10-20% of the time. On an iPhone 12 and iPhone 7 in SA, the devices seemingly never get given an IPv4 address, and are unable to send video over UDP. I've also seen cases of this in WA and NT.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

Below are screenshots from the same phone after connecting/disconnecting from the network a few times. One shows an IPv4 address present (and streaming working) the other without.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to stream video over UDP on IPv6-only connection

Weather the phone gets an IPv4 or IPv6 address can be set by changing the APN settings. Try using telstra.iph  as the apn

Telstra 4G LTE APN Settings 2021 - 4G APN Settings

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Accepted Solution

Weather the phone gets an IPv4 or IPv6 address can be set by changing the APN settings. Try using telstra.iph  as the apn

Telstra 4G LTE APN Settings 2021 - 4G APN Settings

View solution in original post

tjcoda
Level 1: Cadet

I'm working with apps that allow users to stream video from their phones, so unfortunately having end users switch their APN settings isn't ideal.

cf4

The IPv6 addresses are occurring because Telstra is gradually moving to IPv6 on mobile broadband services and the default APN on Telstra phones telstra.wap only has an IPv6 address. I can't see any other way of ensuring the phone gets an IPv4 address other than changing APN settings.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more