Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Volte, Small Cell, Samsung S9

Hi,

I live in a rural area and a new Small Cell has just been activated in my area.

I have a Samsung S9 that was purchased from the Good Guys, and it has the latest firmware etc.

Yesterday, when I entered the area covered by the Small Cell, I received a text message from Telstra that said "....you are in a 4G only area. Your device does not have 4G voice calling capability enabled......".

Following the link in the text (telstra.com/callhelp) it says to.....

• Tap the Settings Icon.
  • Tap Mobile Networks.
  • Select VoLTE to enable on the device.

....but when I do this there is no option for VoLTE as such, just a "Network Mode" setting which is already set to 4G/3G/2G (auto connect) - See screen shot below.

Questions: Is this setting the same as VoLTE or is there something else going on here, and if this is ok, why am I receiving the text from Telstra in the first place?

Many Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Volte, Small Cell, Samsung S9

No. It's not the same thing. You've got your phone set to use 4G for data, but because you don't have Telstra firmware loaded on your phone, you can't use VoLTE.

In a small cell area, that part of the network doesn't carry voice calls as voice, it uses data (VoLTE). So your phone won't be able to make voice calls while it's connected to that tower (unless you go to somewhere like Sammobile.com and download and install the Telstra firmware onto your phone).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Volte, Small Cell, Samsung S9

Thanks Jupiter Smiley Happy. Well explained - very helpful.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more