CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Why are there international data roaming charges on my bill when data roaming option turned off?

Hi Telstra Crowdsupport,

I just received my latest Telstra mobile bill and I'm puzzled.

It involves international roaming charges. DON'T PANIC. It isn't huge but I'm more puzzled because there are 21 VERY SMALL data roaming charges from Singapore over 8 days.

My concern is that I NEVER TURN ON data roaming on my phone (HTC One M9 with all latest updates applied).

The majority indicate a data volume of 1Kb. A couple show 3KB and one, 2kb.

THey are always on the hour but at random times through the days.

Date Time Type Location Volume(KB) Gross Amount in $ Nett Amount in $

13 Jul 11:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
14 Jul 11:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
14 Jul 12:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
14 Jul 01:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
14 Jul 08:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
15 Jul 06:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
15 Jul 08:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
16 Jul 05:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
17 Jul 03:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 3 0.009† 0.009
17 Jul 11:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
17 Jul 01:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 2 0.006† 0.006
17 Jul 07:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
17 Jul 10:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003

18 Jul 02:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
18 Jul 06:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 3 0.009† 0.009
18 Jul 06:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
19 Jul 00:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
19 Jul 03:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
19 Jul 11:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
20 Jul 07:00am Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003
20 Jul 12:00pm Data Usage Overseas (GST Free) Singapore 1 0.003† 0.003

Look, it's only 8 cents (approximately) but more the concern that I thought I had data roaming disabled so there wouldn't be ANY data roaming charges overseas. (I don't want to disable it on my account as I MIGHT need it in an emergency while overseas.)

What do I need to look for/do to ensure that data roaming is TOTALLY disabled so nothing can sneak through unless I specifically ask and allow my phone to do something?

Again, this is on an HTC One M9 with all of the latest updates available from HTC and Google Play applied.

The phone was on at all times to ensure that I could be reached if there was an emergency while I was away but, for data, I purchased a local SIM in SIngapore for the week I was there but used that in another device so, my HTC always had its Telstra SIM in it. (Yes, I know Telstra has other options.)

Thanks, in advance, for any information and assistance with the above.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Why are there international data roaming charges on my bill when data roaming option turned off?

My only guess is that it was carrier checking to pick up the settings/config for the local partner carrier... 1, even 3kb isn't going to be much information so I would assume some sort of carrier protocol with the local partner would be the only thing I could think of.

It does seem strange however if it is a carrier setting with the singapore partners network that could in theory explain it overwriting the device...

I know in the states every where pretty much all the networks share theirs had small data updates each time you changed carriers so that is the only thing I could assume here too....
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Why are there international data roaming charges on my bill when data roaming option turned off?

So, even if I have roaming turned off, I'm still paying for little bits if roaming even if I don't want to. Hmmm. Me thinks it's time to ring billing and discuss.
Highlighted

I would say that would be worth it, if the phone was on and the network was connected then I would say it is a local carrier thing but given it is such a small amount I would expect billing will likely adjust it. (I could be wrong but it is hardly worth them arguing)

If you had roaming turned off on the account it wouldn't happen because there would be no connection to the local carrier to trigger it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Archie4001,

I've just found the same unexpected data charges incurred while travelling in China last month. Same tiny amounts and mine were only ever on the hour. Just wondering if you found out what the deal is with this?

Cheers,

Ann

Highlighted

I have just reported the same issue to Telstra after a 3-week trip to Japan with 4 devices - 2 x iPhones and 2 x iPads - that all had data roaming turned off.  It also occured to a lesser extent when we were in Chile last October.

Total charge was only $0.46 but that adds up when you consider how many Telstra customers will travel overseas every year.

Telstra agreed there was something not right, especially as there is apparently none of the usual metadata presented by the overseas carrier.  They have raised an investigation so I will wait and see.  The charges were also refunded without any question.

I suspect DrQ's explanation is close to the mark - carrier celluar handoff data within the foreign network is being treated as legitimate customer data.

Highlighted

Same thing just happened to me. I was away for 3 months. Data off. Tiny charges each day total 20c. Clearly a problem which telstra knows about but is not fixing.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more