john_c
Level 1: Cadet

Why do I have to pay $300 upfront to have international roaming activated?

As a new customer to Telstra, on a post paid plan, why do I have to pay $300 up front to have international roaming activated? While it gets credited to my account, that is still five months worth of my plan that I have to hand over to Telstra. You already have me under contract to pay my bill each month, so why don't you trust me......
I never had this problem with other carriers. Any explanation?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Why do I have to pay $300 upfront to have international roaming activated?

Not sure why the bond and also it's nothing to do with trust just safe business. If you've never held an account prior to this it's completely understandable.

Much like renting a home.. You pay a bond to cover unforeseen hurdles.

I assume you called up for activation.. Is it the same result online.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/activate/

Or if that's where the figure popped up I recon your best bet is to call Telstra directly.

Cheers,
Dave

john_c

Hi Dave. I did call them and they basically said that was what the "system" said they had to do. Io think it is a lack of trust by Telstra, as they have a contact with me that says I will pay. If it was an issue of wanting money up front, why haven't they got me to pay up front on my mobile account. It's really quite poor customer service. Hence why I posted something to see if I could shake up Telstra's customer support.
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Hey John, did you read my post?

It has nothing to do with trust just safe business. Unfortunately no one here knows your history (and don't for that matter) Customer service has nothing to do with your bond so how can it be poor? I really think you're taking things a bit personally. It's a corporate company looking after there financial infrastructure which keeps the share holder happy. I don't work for telstra so I don't know why you've been picked out for a bond... I will however apologise as if your a clear previous account holder with any telco that should prove your credit rating.

Did you try to activate online just to see if it's the same result?? The link is above

Cheers,
Dave

Fitz3630

Hey John.

I had same problem!

To say its good business is just crazy! I've never heard of it before. I've had a contact phone in Uk this worked internationally with no upfront cost. I've had a contract phone in Germany again worked internationally with no upfront cost.

We are under contract to pay the bill so that should be suffice. Unless of course British and German companies don't know how to run their businesses.

All that said, it is what it is so we have to deal with it. With the problems I've had with Telstra renewal of contract won't be an option. No real problem for them and certainly not a problem for me.

Regards

Wayne
Annoyed_Dan

To whomever

I ended up in the USA after having transferred from  a previous TESLTRA account and carrying my number over to a new plan for two years. 

I am signed up for direct debit from my credit card. 

The plan says the following

Using your service overseas
The cost of using your service overseas is higher than in Australia.
Your monthly Plan allowance does not include use while you’re
overseas, so you will be charged separately for this usage.
Here are the main charges that apply:
• calls and SMS while overseas – for call and SMS rates,  
see telstra.com.au/roaming  
• data while overseas – $3 per MB (charged per KB or part thereof).
Before you travel overseas
• For information about using your service overseas, activation  
and other tips and offers to help you stay in control of your costs,
visit telstra.com/overseas  
• For information on how to monitor your usage and register  
for these tools, visit telstra.com/manageirusage
• If you would like to de-activate international roaming,  
please call us on 12 5109.

I visited the site noted in the third dot point, I can tell you that it has nothing about advance payments  The last dot point tells me what to do to deactivate International Roaming.  Assumption, it is already set up and available. 

So here I am in the USA, No service!  I Check the internet and it says call a certain number if you are overseas and you want to activate roaming.  I thought it already was.  So go online can't find a way to do it, rang the help number talked to someone who said she turned it on and it would be about 2 days.  Fine I can live with that. 

4 days nothing?

Go online but now in my hotel room and I find and fill out some request form to activate IR if you are already overseas, seems easy. 

6 hours later an email

"Unfortunately, we can’t activate International Roaming on your service as you need to have an active account with Telstra that has been billed for more than six months in order to be eligible to have International Roaming on your service.

If you’d still like to use your device overseas call us on +61 439 125 1091 to make an advanced payment of $300 per service to activate International Roaming.

Best regards,

Gerd Schenkel
Executive Director, Telstra Digital Sales and Service"

I was already overseas, no service so how do I call that number and where did these conditions come from anyway, I have searched high and low. 

So talked to my wife in Australia using a voip phone to ask Telstra to connect roaming, I have had no service now for nearly a week.  A service that is clearly paid for. 

In the end I did a chat support and after explaining to them that Telstra was holding me ransom with the threat of no communciations unless I paid for $300 in advance and that I would provide the full transcript of our discussion ot the Communications Ombudsman, they agreed to connect me at no charge.  The roaming began immedeately I power cycled my phone, no two day wait. 

The irony is that my wife in the mean time had succumbed to the imovable TELSTRA employee back in Australia and then handed over $300. 

I am absolutely disgusted at the behaviour of TELSTRA in this instance, here i was in the USA with no communications, paying for my plan, and getting no service, no roaming and no ability to even call them to talk about it. 

You may say that its my problem for not calling them and telling them I was going out of the country and is that alright with them, but after having had a variety of telstra services over more than 25 years and never having had this problem when I had travelled overseas before, one can understand that having set up the plan and in particular with what the plan description says about needing to check on ways to reduce your costs, i had no reason to even imagine there was a need to call TESLTRA about anything. 

I will be writing to the Ombudsman with the transcripts of my conversation, my contract documents and terms that were given to me.  I have also looked high and low to validate the statements made by Gerd Schenkel and with all the documents I have pulled down there is no mandate to have advance payments or even to have had a service for 6 months.  Its unconscionable behaviour expecially given that I was stranded with a perfectly fine android device. 

One other funny thing, when my service finally did connect, I got the usual barrage of texts from TELSTRA about being careful with using the phone overseas as it is more expensive, but in particular right in the middle of the texts was one about how they were not able to activate my roaming.  A text I was not in any way able to receive. 

Dan

ScottBarratt
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Annoyed_Dan

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent experience with international roaming. I can appreciate that you wish to take this complaint further, however if there is anything you would like to discuss with us directly, feel free to chat to us here: 

http://tel.st/hsc3

Cheers.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Annoyed_Dan

All that the link does is connect me to a random Telstra Chat Person who would not understand the nature of my complaint and the email that came from you is a noreply address. I am not sure what talking to someone would do. I would rather have a response from TELSTRA about it.
dmunro100

I've just had the very same thng. It's really really annoned me.

I have had a personal telstra contract for my mobile since January 2015 and am about to go to the USA and Canada but Telstra insist I pay $300 to get international roaming activated. This is just stupid. Why? What's the rationale?

I cant find anyone with any authority to recognise that I've been a Telstra customer for years. 

I moved from being on a Telstra corporate account for the last 5 years through work to a Mobile Accelerate BYO Plan in January when I retired so that I could keep my mobile number. This apparently does not count for anything. I've tried telstra help servce but, while very pleasnt on the phone, they're unable to activate roaming for me. 

Moreover our landline, my partner's mobile, our home boarband and foxel are all with Telstra - we pay a decent sum each month for all that but again no one in Telstra seems willing or able to recognise that.

Telstra - if you're listening - It would cost you nothing to activate my international roaming, I'd use your service overseas, you'd get more of my money - a win win for me and for Telstra.

But no.. you want $300 upfront. For reasons I just dont understand. 

Why six months wait? Its so arbitrary.

I'm not prepared to give you that $300 so inless you activate it for free I wont be using your service overseas - I lose, you lose. 

Is this really how you guys want to do business? Is this your gold-star custormer-focussed service. 

Dave

Esther
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dmunro100,

The $300 up front payment is applied to customers who have had an account with us (under their name) for less than 6 months. As you have been with us previously under a corporate account as this was not under your name we require you to pay an upfront $300 payment which will go towards your mobile account to cover you in case of any International calling charges whilst overseas. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

john_c

Or, you can do what I did to get around the issue, get a Vodafone Red SIM (my phone is unlocked) and access their $5/day international roaming access. I've now moved across to Vodafone as their service has improved and their coverage while not as good as Telstra is sufficient. I think Telstra is nothing penny wise, pound foolish with its approach
dmunro100

Can you explain in more detail what "we require you to pay an upfront $300 payment which will go towards your mobile account to cover you" means.
Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hi dmunro100,

The $300 becomes an account credit, this means it sits on the account  ready and waiting for that large bill to come through. That means rather than getting back from your holiday to a large bill the credit will come off the account charges. Calling from overseas is not included in your plan you see so it's at higher rates.

More info here https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming 

Angela 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more