Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

wifi range of telstra smart modem on adsl

Hi,

Trying to establish the best way to utilise/position our Telstra Smart Modem (still on ADSL) for wifi connection in a home with a separate parent retreat. What is generally the range/distance for the wifi to reach & how many devices can connect at any given time.

Thanks

China

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: wifi range of telstra smart modem on adsl

Can't really give an exact distance because the distance  depends on a number of factors.

It depends on performance of the wifi device. I have some wifi devices that connect at over over 30 mbps at 20 meters from modem with several walls obstructing the path. Other devices struggle to get the same speed at 20 meters.

The distance will also depend on neighbouring networks that could cause interference and reduce the speed and distance at which a device can connect.

Brick and metal walls will reduce the distance more than walls in a timber framed house.

The theoretical limit on number of devices is 254 but in practice you should be able to have at least 30 connected devices. They all want be able to stream high definition video at the same time. The ADSL link speed has to be shared so if two devices are downloading at same time the maximum speed of each download will be half that of link speed.

Highlighted

Thank you for some clarification. Can you suggest anything to boost the wifi signal?

I am trying to get signal to reach approximately 25metres. 

Highlighted

The cheapest way to boost the signal is to use a WiFi range extender and place it halfway between modem and parents location.

You could also use a power network adapter.

If you have a Gen2 or Gen 1.1 (DJA0230) Smart modem you could use the Telstra Gen 2 WiFi booster.

Highlighted

Thank you for your assistance.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more