westozbb
Level 2: Rookie

XIAOMI Redmi 3S Telstra 4G network compatability

Answered

HI, I am thinking buying a XIAOMI Redmi 3S smartphone and wanted to make sure it will work in Stratham Western Australia 6237.

Regards

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: XIAOMI Redmi 3S Telstra 4G network compatability

Just remember that Telstra 2G will be being decommissioned in december this year (<3 months from now no more Telstra 2G) so it will be mostly the 3G that will be reliant.

The phone is listed as 900MHz / 2100MHz for 3G, Telstra do use 2100Mhz on 3G as listed in the towers in your area however the 850Mhz network is much greater coverage.

If you are happy you can certainly use it, however it is likely that you will find you encounter times - particularly post christmas (with no 2G backup) - where it has very limited or no reception.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
DrQ

Looking at its specs,

It is not compatible with the most widely used frequency for NextG / Telstra 3G

It is also listed as only compatible with two 4G bands, one of the frequencies used for Telstra 4G (Band 3), the other band it is listed as compatible with is Band 40 used for Mobile Broadband in Metro areas on Vivid and not able to be used for mobile services in Aus at all.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

I would not recommend getting this phone for use in Australia at all. The bands that it can use are too limited, you will not get very reliable reception in most places.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
westozbb

Thanks DrQwerty, I live 20km south of Bunbury in the south west of WA, and have very poor mobile signal anyway.

According to OzTowers.com my local towers within 10km only have the following Frequencies available anyway - 2G 900MHz,

3G 850MHz & 3G 2100MHz,4G 700MHz & 4G 1800MHz.

So by looking at the Xiaomi specs again I recon that 2G & 3G should be fine but yes it will miss out on the 4G 700MHz band.

Thanks again

Brian

DrQ
Accepted Solution

Just remember that Telstra 2G will be being decommissioned in december this year (<3 months from now no more Telstra 2G) so it will be mostly the 3G that will be reliant.

The phone is listed as 900MHz / 2100MHz for 3G, Telstra do use 2100Mhz on 3G as listed in the towers in your area however the 850Mhz network is much greater coverage.

If you are happy you can certainly use it, however it is likely that you will find you encounter times - particularly post christmas (with no 2G backup) - where it has very limited or no reception.
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

westozbb

Thanks for the extra info on the 2G being decommisioned, I suppose I will keep on looking for a phone to suit.

Cheers

Jupiter

You want ot be looking for a phone that has 850MHz UMTS (3G) (which is essential) and preferably LTE 700MHz, LTE 900MHz & LTE 1800MHz.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
westozbb

Cheers Jupiter, I will put those specs in next time I am phone shopping.

Regards

BB

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more