How do I activate my Telstra Pre-Paid SIM card online?
Before you start, you’ll need two things:
- Your SIM serial number or service number
You’ll find this on your SIM Starter Kit or the packaging your device came in.
- One valid form of ID:
It can be your:
- Australian driver’s licence or learner's permit
- Medicare card
- Australian passport
- International passport with a valid Australian visa
Ready to activate?
On your smartphone, tablet or desktop computer, click the link below and follow the prompts to activate your service.
Activate now >
Good to know: You don’t need an internet connection or credit balance to access this page.
What if I’m keeping my existing number?
- On your smartphone, tablet or desktop computer, go to prepaid.activate.telstra.com.au
- Follow the prompts to activate a Pre-Paid service
- On the Your SIM details page, select Transfer my current number.
Make sure the details you provide us are an exact match to the details held by your current provider, such as the spelling of your name and date of birth.
Good to know: It can take up to 48 hours for your number to transfer to Telstra. While you’re waiting you can keep using your current service.
How do I know when my number has been transferred?
Your service with your previous provider will stop working. We’ll also send you an SMS or email as soon as your number has come over to Telstra.
To start using your service:
- Turn off your phone
- Insert your new Telstra Pre-Paid SIM
- Turn it back on
- Start using your new service
What if I’m using an existing device?
If you're using your own device, you should first check:
- Which size SIM card you’ll need. If you're not sure, check the manufacturer's website or guide or visit your local Telstra store.
- That your device is unlocked and compatible with the Telstra mobile network. Some devices are locked to other providers. You will need to contact your provider to have your phone unlocked. You may be charged an unlocking fee for this.
- That your mobile supports Telstra’s network, and that you have the correct data settings (these let you browse the internet, send emails or MMS). Many mobiles will have their settings updated automatically over the Telstra network. To find out if your settings are updated automatically, visit Mobile Support or check the manufacturer’s website.
Was this helpful?
- Yes it was, thank you
- No, I still need help
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.
Telstra Plus FAQFind out more