We’re excited to announce the launch of the first 5G handset on the Australian market, the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G. From 28 May 2019, the Samsung S10 5G will be available exclusively from Telstra.
Customers who purchased a Samsung S10+ on an eligible Telstra 24-month plan can now upgrade to the Samsung S10 5G at no cost on their existing plan via the offer redemption process.
Samsung S10 5G Upgrade FAQ
Telstra offers 5G in select areas and is progressively rolling it out to other areas. In non-5G coverage areas, you’ll automatically switch to our 4G/3G.
Am I eligible for the upgrade offer if a buy a Samsung Galaxy S10e or S10?
No, the upgrade is only available on the Samsung Galaxy S10+ for customers who purchased during the upgrade window. It is available on any consumer or small business plan, and covers Mobile, Mobile Lease and BYO plans (BYO only when a device repayment contract is taken up at the time of purchase).
If I buy the Samsung Galaxy S10+, do I have to switch over to the Samsung 5G handset?
No, it is not compulsory, the choice is yours. If you wish to keep your 4G handset, there is no obligation to exchange it for the 5G handset. If you do wish to upgrade to the Samsung 5G handset, you need to return your phone in good working order up to 21 days after the S10 5G becomes available.
Please note that if you take up the redemption offer but fail to return your S10+, this will result in a device non-return fee. Similarly, if the device is returned damaged (and not covered under warranty) there will also be a fee as per the terms and conditions.
Do I need to recontract when I switch my phone over to the Samsung 5G handset?
No, you don’t need to recontract, you will stay on your existing plan.
Will my service plan change if I change my phone over?
You must maintain your existing plan in order to redeem the upgrade offer. There will be no changes to your plan or term length.
Which memory variant of the S10 5G will I receive if I trade-in my S10+?
If you purchase a 128GB S10+, you will be eligible to swap it over to a 256GB S10 5G. If you purchase a 512GB S10+, you will be eligible to swap it over to the 512GB S10 5G.
When can I redeem the upgrade offer?
The S10 5G will launch in Australia on 28 May 2019. If you purchased a S10+ up to 29 April, Telstra will be in touch with you directly on 28 May 2019 via SMS and/or email with more information on how to redeem the upgrade. Customers will have a period of 21 days to redeem the upgrade.
How do I return my handset?
- You will be able to upgrade to the 5G handset via Telstra stores or Online.
- If you upgrade in-store, you will need to leave your 4G handset in-store at the point of upgrade.
- If you wish to upgrade online, you will receive a return satchel to return your 4G handset with your new 5G handset once it becomes available. This must be returned to Telstra with all relevant paperwork within 7 days of receiving the 5G handset.
Do I need to return any accessories or cables?
No, only the phone needs to be returned.
In what condition do I need to return my phone?
Your phone should be returned in good working order. A phone that is undamaged and in good working order is one that is fully functional as intended and is not physically damaged, except minor scratches and other normal wear and tear, as reasonably determined by us.
This means the handset:
- turns on and off;
- functions normally (for example, it is capable of making and receiving calls and connecting to the internet and any touchscreen functions as intended);
- includes a fully functioning battery;
- is free from physical damage except normal wear and tear (for example, it does not have liquid damage, a cracked or discoloured screen or casing, connector damage, or a faulty or broken SIM/SD card reader);
- does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-original parts;
- has all activation and device locking features disabled (e.g. Find My Mobile, pin locks);
- IMEI is not blocked.
What happens if I damage my phone?
You will have the following options:
- Get it repaired by Telstra or Samsung (fees will vary depending on the nature of the damage).
- If you have Stay Connected, make a Stay Connected service request.
- If you are on a Lease plan, and you have Swap Assure, you can do a Swap Assure redemption. However, you must note that this is a recontract and you would need to recontract to a new in market plan (total cost of ownership may be different).
- These fees are in addition to any Early Termination Charges and accessories charges, if applicable. We’ll help you assess the condition of your phone at the time.
- Additional charges may apply if a device is not returned in good working order, or not returned at all.
- Note that this offer does not impact your statutory rights or warranty under Australian Consumer Law.
What if I don’t return my 4G handset after I upgrade?
You must return your 4G handset in-store or online when you upgrade. If the 4G handset is not returned within the redemption period or 7 day window for online orders, you will be charged for the outstanding value of the handset to be determined at that time.
Was this helpful?
- Yes it was, thank you
- No, I still need help
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.
Community Recognition - May 2019Find out more