Dannii123
Level 1: Cadet

changing from plan to prepaid

I called telstra yesterday to as my plan has ended so I wanted to go to the prepaid $150 for 6 months but the lady on the phone said I needed to buy another sim card first and that it couldn't be swapped without one. Is this right, as I have mates who have done this over the phone with no new sim card required??? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: changing from plan to prepaid

Hi Dannii123,

It doesn't sound right. I changed from Post Paid to Pre-Paid year's ago over the phone and I was able to use the same SIM that the Post Paid plan was on.

If you purchase a new SIM you won't be able to transfer your existing Telstra Post Paid mobile phone number to it, as the Pre-Paid SIM is pre-loaded with a mobile phone number. 

I'd suggest either ringing again and speak to a different Telstra Consultant or if you're able to, visit a Telstra store where they can change you from Post Paid to Pre-Paid with you being able to keep using the Post Paid SIM.

If you visit a Telstra store, you'll need to take some ID with you to prove that the mobile service belongs to you. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
MammaB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: changing from plan to prepaid

Hey Dannii123, did you manage to change over to prepaid and retain your postpaid number? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more