Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

currently overseas but want to keep my number active

Answered

Hi, I am currently on Telstra prepaid max, 40aud for 35 days and 20GB for use. I am still stranded overseas due to covid 19 since March, and have been paying for the service and i ended up with 167GB/200GB data now. I would like to stop paying for this and keep my number until I can return to Australia which may be next year. 

1) is there any way i can keep my unused data (167GB) without continuing to pay for 40 dollars every 35 days?

2) is there any other cheaper and affordable plans so that i can keep my number active and ready for use when i return to Australia?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: currently overseas but want to keep my number active

Hi @Dev_21 

If you log into your account online you should see what plans are available to you https://tel.st/qzhdr 

You can of course stop paying (recharging) the account for up to 6 months before you loose your number. And while the account isn't active the store data in your bank isn't available until you recharge again.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hi @Dev_21,

I'd advise you not to change your plan as you're currently on the Pre-Paid Max plan.

If you change to the Complete plan, with a $40 recharge you would have to recharge every 28 day's (not 35 day's that it currently is on the Max plan).

You also get less Data per recharge on the Complete plan compared to the Max plan.

If you change to the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan you will lose the 167GB of Data that you have saved in the Data Bank, as the Long Life Plus plan doesn't have the Data Bank feature....you pay 7 cents per mb on this plan.

As @Ozmoz wrote, you do have the option of not recharging again until just under 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge.

You must recharge within 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge otherwise your SIM will get deactivated and you'll lose your mobile phone number.

You won't lose your 167GB of Data saved in the Data Bank as long as you don't change to the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan and you recharge within 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi @Dev_21 

If you log into your account online you should see what plans are available to you https://tel.st/qzhdr 

You can of course stop paying (recharging) the account for up to 6 months before you loose your number. And while the account isn't active the store data in your bank isn't available until you recharge again.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi @Dev_21,

I'd advise you not to change your plan as you're currently on the Pre-Paid Max plan.

If you change to the Complete plan, with a $40 recharge you would have to recharge every 28 day's (not 35 day's that it currently is on the Max plan).

You also get less Data per recharge on the Complete plan compared to the Max plan.

If you change to the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan you will lose the 167GB of Data that you have saved in the Data Bank, as the Long Life Plus plan doesn't have the Data Bank feature....you pay 7 cents per mb on this plan.

As @Ozmoz wrote, you do have the option of not recharging again until just under 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge.

You must recharge within 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge otherwise your SIM will get deactivated and you'll lose your mobile phone number.

You won't lose your 167GB of Data saved in the Data Bank as long as you don't change to the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan and you recharge within 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Highlighted

Thank you @Smiley3 , these are really helpful advice! i guess i will recharge again within the 6 months of expiry date and keep the numberSmiley Happy

Highlighted

Thank you @Ozmoz for your adviceSmiley Happy 

@Ozmoz wrote:

Hi @Dev_21 

Highlighted

Hi @Dev_21 ,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

I'm on the Pre-Paid Max plan for the Pre-Paid service I use everyday.

I also have a spare SIM on the Pre-Paid Max plan....which I have 157GB saved in the Data Bank and only recharge $10 within six month's of the expiry date of my last recharge. 

The $10 recharge on the Max plan has 7 days expiry.

I'd suggest you put a $10 recharge on within 6 month's of the expiry date of your last recharge to keep your number and Data in the Data Bank Smiley Wink

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more