Level 1: Cadet

Data only sim to account

Anyone know how to add a data only sim number to my existing account so i can track its balance? 

When I use the "Add an account" it wants to send an SMS verification code. but the sim is data only and in a dongle plugged into a raspberry pi

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Data only sim to account

Most dongles have a user interface accessible as a web page. They can usually get messages as well. You are doing something with the dongle that at present, is a bit out of the ordinary (and Telstra generally only deal with 'ordinary').

If you plug the dongle into a PC or laptop you should be able to access the messages via the web GUI..  if you do all that and add the service to your account you can then move the dongle back to the pi.  You could also just move the SIM to a dongle already on your device.

I have similar situations with dongles and wi-fi modems, providers often send messages to them and I have just got into the routine of checking them occassionally (just in case there is an issue they are alerting me to, like cancellation).  I have a spare dongle that I plug into the PC and then move the SIM's to it for a weekly check. It's a bit of a pain to be honest, but the dongle inconvenience is better than the situation with LTE CatM1 and IoT SIMS directly inserted into microcontroller hardware, which are somewhat harder to get to on a regular basis..  :-)   

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Data only sim to account

Something else I remember happening in past is that the verification messages sometimes go to the main mobile device on the account, but unfortunately not always - another reason why I check other devices regularly  :-)

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more