Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

data only

Answered

I already have a prepaid account. I paid for $60 for 6 months. Phone only. Something like that.  I have no data. How can I buy data only also. I do not want a plan. Just a small amount of data.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: data only

Hi robo5,

It sounds like you're on the Pre-Paid Long Life plan or the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan.

Both of these plans don't have included Data per Recharge, but you can buy Data at a Pay As You Go rate.

It's very expensive this way...the Long Life plan rate is $2 per megabite, the Long Life Plus plan is 10cents per megabite.

I would suggest changing your Pre-Paid plan to Pre-Paid Complete.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#RCG

The $30 Recharge has 28 day's expiry, it includes unlimited calls and text to Australian numbers (including mobile phone number) and 8GB Data.

With the first 3 recharge's you also get a Bonus 17GB Data (as long as the recharge's are put on by 31st August) when you recharge before the expiry date of your last recharge and any unused Data will be saved into the Data Bank.

There is also the option to Recharge $150 with 6 months expiry or the $300 Recharge has 12 months expiry....these equate to $25 per month.

Coles has a special on at the moment which ends close of business next Tuesday.

If you purchase a Telstra $150 Recharge there's a $50 discount, therefore you only pay $100.

If you purchase this Recharge it equates to $16.67 per month. 

If you do decide to change to the Pre-Paid Complete plan you'll need to change your Pre-Paid plan first then put a Recharge on to get the benefits of the new Pre-Paid plan.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

@robo5 wrote:

I already have a prepaid account. I paid for $60 for 6 months. Phone only. Something like that.  I have no data. How can I buy data only also. I do not want a plan. Just a small amount of data.

Hi @robo5 

You might be better of going with Telstra's little brother Belong Mobile. You can get a $10 a month unlimited call plan, plus 1Gig of data per month and any unused goes into an unlimited data bank to use when you need it.

Since your already paying $10 a month over 6 months it might be a better option to look at when its time for renewing.... Just a thought :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi robo5,

It sounds like you're on the Pre-Paid Long Life plan or the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan.

Both of these plans don't have included Data per Recharge, but you can buy Data at a Pay As You Go rate.

It's very expensive this way...the Long Life plan rate is $2 per megabite, the Long Life Plus plan is 10cents per megabite.

I would suggest changing your Pre-Paid plan to Pre-Paid Complete.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#RCG

The $30 Recharge has 28 day's expiry, it includes unlimited calls and text to Australian numbers (including mobile phone number) and 8GB Data.

With the first 3 recharge's you also get a Bonus 17GB Data (as long as the recharge's are put on by 31st August) when you recharge before the expiry date of your last recharge and any unused Data will be saved into the Data Bank.

There is also the option to Recharge $150 with 6 months expiry or the $300 Recharge has 12 months expiry....these equate to $25 per month.

Coles has a special on at the moment which ends close of business next Tuesday.

If you purchase a Telstra $150 Recharge there's a $50 discount, therefore you only pay $100.

If you purchase this Recharge it equates to $16.67 per month. 

If you do decide to change to the Pre-Paid Complete plan you'll need to change your Pre-Paid plan first then put a Recharge on to get the benefits of the new Pre-Paid plan.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@robo5 wrote:

Hi @robo5 

You might be better of going with Telstra's little brother Belong Mobile. You can get a $10 a month unlimited call plan, plus 1Gig of data per month and any unused goes into an unlimited data bank to use when you need it.

Since your already paying $10 a month over 6 months it might be a better option to look at when its time for renewing.... Just a thought :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Highlighted

Hi @robo5,

@Ozmoz, has suggested a cheaper alternative by changing to Belong.

$10 with 1GB included Data is a good deal.

Due to Telstra's shortage of staff working at the moment because of COVID-19 there could be a delay in porting you number to Belong.

I'm sure I've read other posts on Crowdsupport where customer's are having Porting issues at the moment.

If you are currently using a Telstra Pre-Paid mobile phone, you would need to get it unlocked from the Telstra Network to use a Belong SIM in it.

You will have trouble getting an unlocking code through a Telstra call centre.

There could also be an unlocking fee, it depends on how long the Telstra Pre-Paid mobile phone has been activated for.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Accounts-Plans/How-to-unlock-your-Pre-Paid-phone/ta-p/67548

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more