Roastman
Level 1: Cadet

Enable premium SMS on prepaid sim?

Answered

Hi, I am wondering if there is any means of enabling premium SMS on a prepaid sim? It looks like Telstra doesn't offer then ability to send a premium SMS at all on prepaid? I keep getting a message which states "Your mobile number is not eligible to use this Premium SMS service"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Enable premium SMS on prepaid sim?

No. Premium SMS is not available on Telstra's current PrePaid or Upfront Mobile Plans.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

No. Premium SMS is not available on Telstra's current PrePaid or Upfront Mobile Plans.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Roastman

Thanks for the response. Now I know why it keeps rejecting the message. 

Yibbyo

I was able to use premium sms to enter Cash Cow up until April this year but tried to enter today and it’s no longer available on pre paid Telstra mobiles. I would like to know what plan I would have to be on to be able to use premium messaging so I am able to enter competitions that have 19 numbers to enter.

Is this change a sneaky way to get people to upgrade or get locked into a plan?

thanks

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Yibbyo, as Jupiter has mentioned above none of our current range of prepaid or Upfront monthly plans allow calls or SMS to Premium SMS services. Any new services or changes from pre-paid to post-paid will be on one of these new plans - there isn't another way to have the Premium SMS service restored

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DVAus

@Greg_Buch wrote:

Hi Yibbyo, as Jupiter has mentioned above none of our current range of prepaid or Upfront monthly plans allow calls or SMS to Premium SMS services. Any new services or changes from pre-paid to post-paid will be on one of these new plans - there isn't another way to have the Premium SMS service restored

I'm sorry, @Greg_Buch, but can you direct me to documentation on your website that explicitly states this?
The latest article I can find on YOUR website, as well as this CrowdSupport Wiki which directs me to the same article, is this one:
https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/moreonyourmobile/premium-sms-change

Which explicitly states the following: 
"

Will all content be affected?

No. The following Premium SMS services will not be affected:

• Charity donations.
  • Popular mass media voting or competition services, including but not limited to Channel 7’s Cash Cow, annual Eurovision voting, I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here voting, etc."

So I should still be able to enter the Channel 7 Cash Cow competition according to this article. 

Also, this link was given to be my a support agent in the Telstra 24/7 app:
https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile/mobile-plans/telstra-...

In this article under the section "What's Not Included" it states: 
"

The plan cannot be used for:
  • Usage while you are overseas. You can't use it to make or receive calls or to send messages whilst you're overseas, to to access mobile data whilst overseas
  • Calls to premium numbers (e.g. 19xx numbers)
  • Calls to some satellite numbers 
  • Telstra Air
  • Use with an eSIM"

The only reference here is "CALLS" to premium numbers. Nowhere in the critical information summary does it say anything about SMSes. 

So, I told this to the support agent and I'm telling this to you, the information you are providing us is contradictory to your own information on your own website. Why can we not still enter certain SMS competitions vir premium SMS services?

Jupiter

You are looking at an old page that related to the plans that were available at the time.

The CIS for the Upfront Plans is poorly worded and it shouldn't reference Calls on Premium numbers. It shoudl be worded the same as the PrePaid CIS.

The CIS for Prepaids say

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

@Greg_Buch wrote:

Hi Yibbyo, as Jupiter has mentioned above none of our current range of prepaid or Upfront monthly plans allow calls or SMS to Premium SMS services.

Given what @Jupiter has pointed out, are you able to put the wheels in motion to have the webpages updated?.

Spn2

How is it that I was still able to enter the competitions in June this year using a prepaid plan. 

Now that they have automatically changed the plans and taken away credit included we can't... 

**bleep**ty new plan with no credit included and no data bank... They are the only changes made as well as adding international countries that don't even get used. What a way to add top service.. deleting any benefits to the customers as usual. Cheers Telstra! 

Dowser

In June you were probably still on your previous plan which catered for messaging to Premium numbers.

dgo123
Level 2: Rookie

This is just not good enough Telstra! This means you will lose a lot of customers as we have lost a service we have been using for many years. I am looking at other providers now after being a loyal Telstra customer for decades.

Dave218

How do you get premium sms then? 

Jupiter

You don't. Not with Telstra, anyway.

Dave218

So not even if I went to a contract? Just wondering why 7's cash cow is exempt and not say Today show comp?

Dowser

Why do you say Cash Cow is exempt?.

Dave218

Which explicitly states the following: 
"

Will all content be affected?

No. The following Premium SMS services will not be affected:

• Charity donations.
  • Popular mass media voting or competition services, including but not limited to Channel 7’s Cash Cow, annual Eurovision voting, I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here voting, etc."
Dowser

@Jupiter explained above that that Telstra page is out of date.

I replied to @Greg_Buch asking for the page to be updated. Obviously it has not happened.

I have just submitted Telstra feedback asking for the page to be updated.

Jupiter

That information is for the old superceded plans, it has nothing to do with the new Telstra Upfront Plans or Telstra PrePaid Plans.

JoJoOpp

Try signing this petition to Telstra, you never know, it just may work !

https://chng.it/H4wY6ZxWLw

Jupiter

Joe,

The information that you have put on your petition is incorrect. The new Telstra Post Paid Plans (Telstra Upfront Plans) do not include the ability to access Premium SMS either. It is only the old Post Paid Plans that allow it (which customers can no longer sign up for and will gradually be migrated off of when they change plan/upgrade their phone on a repayment plan).

Premium SMS is being phased out for everyone, no matter whether they are PrePaid or not.

JoJoOpp

Prepaid mobile users - no premium sms

Would you like to support Telstra reinstating premium SMS for pre-paid mobile users ? If so, you may like to support this effort to persuade Telstra - https://www.change.org/Premium_SMS_for_prepaid

Telecom

Re: Prepaid mobile users - no premium sms

I think this should be an opt in/out choice from the customer. Not dictated by Telstra. 

Jupiter

Premium SMS/Calls will be gone for all Telstra customers as of the 15th December 2021. So the petition is almost definitely going nowhere.

PSM24
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Telecom

As mentioned, from 15th of December 2021 we will no longer have Premium SMS available on our network. We're released some info about this recently here: https://tel.st/nnxnhf.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more