Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Extra credit for global roaming while overseas on prepaid max

Hi

Wondering if i can receive assistance with this as i cant seem to find the answer on the website. I am on the prepaid max plan and recently recharged $300 which gave me 12 months and $100 extra credit. I am going overseas soon and i am wondering how to use this extra credit for roaming while I’m away. Do i need to activate before i go? How long will the $100 last while in Italy? Once i use up the $100 does the phone just stop working or do i somehow get charged for extra use?I dont want to prepay the roaming packs as you dont seem to be able to pay for them using my extra credit. When i search for overseas roaming i seem to be sent to the day pass or roaming packs that i dont want. Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Extra credit for global roaming while overseas on prepaid max

Hi EC6,

International Roaming is already activated on your Pre-Paid mobile service.

The charge's will come out of the $100 Extra Credits.

These are the charge's while you're in Italy.

Make and receive a call $2.00 per minute

Send SMS 65c

Receive SMS Free

Data$ 3.00 per MB charged per KB

Send MMS Standard charges* + $1.50 per MMS

Receive MMS Free

to receive MessageBank® $2.00 per minute

I'd suggest purchasing an International Roaming pack for data because it'll be cheaper, or use Wi-Fi.

You need to have "Recharge Credit" to purchase a pack. To get Recharge Credit onto your Pre-Paid Max service you need to recharge with the values of $20 or $5 only. 

Once you've got enough credit built up you can choose one from the below link. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/pre-paid-mobile

The below link has instructions on how to purchase a pack.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/pre-paid/how-to-add-a-plus-pack-on-pre-p...

Once you've used all the $100 you'll need to put more Recharge Credit on (in $20 or $5 amounts only) if you wish to make calls or send sms or MMS.

Hopefully I've answered all your questionsSmiley Happy

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted

Thank you Smiley3.

Normally when we go to Italy we purchase a sim card at the "TIM" store for the month as this is way cheaper over the 4 weeks. As i have the extra credit i thought that I may as well use it as I never do here. So maybe i will figure out how to turn data off ( on iphone7) except wifi and just use the extra credit for making and receiving calls. Another question. While over in Italy can i just call like normal from my contacts or do i need to manually dial to include Australia country code and drop the"0" ?

Highlighted

Hi EC6, 

I'm not an Apple user but I  Googled how to turn the Data off on an iPhone 7.

https://devicehelp.boostmobile.com/document/HowToSetupGuide/iPhone_7/Boost_Mobile/en/Enable/disable_...

The link below explains how to make calls while you're in Italy.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/international-roaming/ir-making-calls-on...

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted

Hi Smiley3

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Highlighted

Hi EC6, 

Your welcome, I try to help when I canSmiley Happy

I'll also add that even though you'll have the Data turned off on your mobile it still might use a small amount of Data if you're Location is on.

I've read in other posts on Crowdsupport that even though customer's have their Data turned off and are in Aeroplane mode they were charged for some Data use. The reply to their post was that it could be your mobile phone pinging to a tower.

I've never used International Roaming, so I'm not sure if turning of the Location would affect other features like making/receiving a call or sending/receiving an sms.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your time in Italy Smiley Happy

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more