Wk08
Level 3: Gumshoe

How can I return a pre-paid sim kit?

Hi,

tl/dr:

How can I return a pre-paid sim kit? The package was opened but the sim has not been activated.  The packet clearly says it can be returned within 30 days of purchase if not activated.

I'm getting the run around with online messaging. Nobody can tell me how to return it.  

Long version:

My Telstra contract ended and wanting to go pre-paid I purchased a $40 kit online.  When I got it and opened the pack, I realised all I needed to do was go in store and get it done that way, no kit needed. 

After a 1hr 40 min wait, online messaging insisted no refunds possible.  

Facebook messaging Telstra was more helpful, they provided me with a link and the person there told me they would convert the $40 into credit.  I said yes thanks that would be great.  They confirmed the purchase and that it not had been activated and confirmed the credit.  That was 10th Feb, no credit has appeared in the My Telstra App as of 19th Feb.

Not willing to wait another 1.5 hours on messaging and now wanting a refund, I went to the Indooroopilly Telstra store seeking to return the sim kit but they refused and said I would not be getting a refund as I did not purchase it from that store, and I had opened the package. They dismissed the fine print on the pack that says it can be returned within 30 days of purchase if not activated.  They would not tell me how I can return it.  They offered to open a case number so I could get a potential refund reviewed, and gave me a list of numbers that pointed back to the overseas call centre. Ugh.  I gave up in frustration.

How can I return this sim kit for a refund?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more