HappyPants
Level 2: Rookie

incorrect (physical) SIM number being used by Telstra for SIM activation

Answered

purchased physical pre-paid SIM for use in Netgear Nighthawk router purchased from Telstra.

Physical SIM and purchase document both quote same 13 digit SIM number:

8001xxxxx6220

The "Pre-Paid activation is underway" email from Telstra, dated 11 Nov, quotes 14 digit SIM number:

8001xxxxx62230

It is now the 14th of Nov - 72 hours since activation request.

Using Telstra online query tools, the SIM activation query responds with "invalid SIM number" for both SIM numbers above. An online query using the SIM service (phone) number responds with "not yet activated".

Have not yet found a phone number where I can speak to a human, all other avenues I have found so far are robot responses that consider the phrase "Telstra SIM 'activation underway' email quotes incorrect sim number, how to fix please" - an activation issue and leads me to an activation request page that again tells me the SIM number is incorrect. Have not yet figured out a scenario sentence the robots want to help with.

It may be faster to just purchase a new pre-paid SIM - then I will need to find how to swap the $50 credit to the new SIM, another scenario the robots also seem unaware of.

As this SIM is in a router, I did try to put the SIM into my mobile phone and use the myTelstra app to see if this advanced my cause at all, however that app on my phone will only look at the service for my post paid SIM that is normally in my phone, not the additional pre-paid SIM I am trying to get corrected on Telstra records.

Anyone with a similar experience or a Aust phone number that allows for 'human' contact ?

any assistance appreciated.

HP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HappyPants
Accepted Solution

Re: incorrect (physical) SIM number being used by Telstra for SIM activation

Thanks Smiley3

short version - consultant advised to call telstra shop to get SIM replaced, called ahead to Telstra shop to confirm & they agreed and also said swapping credit from unused pre-paid SIM to replacement pre-paid SIM will be no trouble what-so-ever.

I think I am on a winner and will close this as resolved.

HP

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero

Hi HappyPants,

Tey sending a message in the My Telstra App on your mobile phone (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen)....with your Post Paid SIM in your mobile. 

If Codi the bot replies with an irrelevant response type "I want to speak to a consultant".

You'll be placed in a queue for a Telstra Employee to reply to your message. 

You can also mark your message as urgent by pressing on the 3 dots top right of the message screen.

It could take hours for an initial reply....you'll receive a notification on your mobile phone when they reply. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
HappyPants

many thanks Smiley3, will give it a shot.

yes, little tired of Codi the bot, will persevere based on your advice.

Many Thanks

HP

HappyPants
Accepted Solution

Thanks Smiley3

short version - consultant advised to call telstra shop to get SIM replaced, called ahead to Telstra shop to confirm & they agreed and also said swapping credit from unused pre-paid SIM to replacement pre-paid SIM will be no trouble what-so-ever.

I think I am on a winner and will close this as resolved.

HP

View solution in original post

Smiley3

Hi HappyPants,

Thanks for the updateSmiley Happy

You are on a winner.

You're lucky that the Telstra store you rang actually answered their phone...most store's don't. 

You're even luckier that they will swap the SIM and transfer the $50 creditSmiley Wink

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more