Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Long Life Plus deactivation

Hi - can’t find a clear recent answer.
I’m on prepaid long life plus. I’m currently overseas (due to COVID) and expect to be here for a while still. All I want is my number to stay active so it’s ready to go once back in Australia. I’m not using my sim (soon won’t even be able to since Telstra is removing international roaming soon). That’s ok. However my questions  are: 1. how long does my service stay active without sim being disconnected and loosing my number? I’m getting conflicting answers 2. I have plenty of credit >$100, which shown in the app but it has a “16 days left” and 22 Sept 2020 expiry date next to it. Telstra keeps telling me I can use it indefinitely. So what is this expiry date then? What does it mean? 3. My last recharge was on 20 March with validity of 186 days, so I’m assuming that date is the next recharge date to make sure I don’t lose my credit? Or does it not work that way? 4. Am I correct that i have until 20 March 2021 to recharge before deactivation? You won’t believe the amount of different answers I received from customer service. No one seems to know the situation and I can’t find it in the fine print. Can anyone help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Long Life Plus deactivation

6 months after your recharge expires, the account and SIM will be deactivated and the number put back into the pool to be reallocated.

You will need to recharge before by the 19th March 2021 to retain the number (to allow for timezone differences).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @HD720206 - the only thing I'd add to @Jupiter's response is the number will be quarantined from re-allocation for a period of time (usually six months). Technically speaking the only reason it should get pulled from quarantine before the six month mark is if the original owner wants it back, OR if we're running low on numbers to allocate.

You don't need the service in your hand to recharge it, it can be done online through My Account, here: https://tel.st/l3dvd

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, We am in the same position as you, overseas with no clue when we’ll get back to Aus. We had paid $150 for 6 months credit not knowing Telstra we’re stopping all global roaming, which means no texts/calls at all. We have requested a refund which I believe is in action. Like you We want to keep my number. These phones are very infrequently used as We now have uk phones as well but want to keep the number for when we get back. Am I right in thinking if We change to the long life, we pay the minimal $30 amount for 6 months, retain my number & just get charged for any texts that come through come out of this credit? It’s such a mindfield. If anyone can advice I would be very grateful, it’s stressing enough not being able to return home without these added issues. TIA

Highlighted

Almost correct. You will retain the number, but as of the 13th October 2020 (until mid 2021) Prepaid services won't have access to International Roaming, so no calls or SMS can be recevied (or made/sent).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more