AJBC
Level 2: Rookie

mobile plan upgrade

Answered

Was it an elaborate scam? I have received numerous emails and phone messages over the last few months telling me that my pre paid mobile plan was going to be upgraded. This upgrade was to be automatic with all my data credits etc being transferred to the new plan. There were follow up messages announcing a delay to this process but last month it appeared to be all go. 30 April (last Friday) was the announced date and I received a reminder on the Wednesday that it was all going to happen.

Needless to say nothing did happened. My current plan's  28 day cycle was due for renewal yesterday and as I had not received the normal sms telling me that my automatic debit had been processed I was worried that I might loose my phone service. I made my first call to Telstra at 11.20 am and at 6.15 pm I gave up!! I did speak to one support person and had numerous contacts with three other people using the messaging system. No one at Telstra support knew anything about the automatic upgrade being planned and could not explain why my auto debit had not been processed. At 9.30pm I decided to make an online payment so I still have my "old" plan to use for another 28 days.

Does Telstra really plan on upgrading some of the "old" mobile plans or was someone trying to get me sufficiently annoyed so that I would start looking for other options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dowser
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: mobile plan upgrade

Have a look at Services > Mobile in the My Telstra app and see if your plan was changed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Steve055
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hi AJBC,

My wife and I have both received the same messages from Telstra about our Telstra PrePaid Extra plans.

Telstra have said that the new plan will give me better value, but that is not the case for me.

The new plan will give me more data (which I don't want or need) and international calls and texts (that I don't  want or need). BUT, it will take away my $5/month of extra credit that I use for Premium SMS. Also, I have over $170 of accumulated extra credit which has been rolled over from earlier plans. That $170 will be converted into data that I don't want or need (and my accumulated data is already maxed out).

I contacted Telstra via webchat and was advised (in broken English) that I would have to "top up" with an extra $10/month on the new plan if I wanted to use Premium SMS.

I don't understand how I can be forced to change to a plan that doesn't suit me when I am on a plan that works for me.

I lodged a complaint via the Telstra App on my phone. I received a reply (again in Broken English) which said that I would not be changed onto a new plan without my agreement !!

I am not sure if I believe that statement but I now have it in writing from Telsta if I need to go to the TIO (Ombudsman).

Dowser
Accepted Solution

Have a look at Services > Mobile in the My Telstra app and see if your plan was changed.

View solution in original post

AJBC

Sorry clicked the wrong option - not an accepted solution. Yes I have checked my account details and I am still on the old plan. The emails and phone messages indicated that the "upgrade" WOULD happen on April 30. It was not a "if you would like" situation. However it did not happen and I have been unable to get anyone at TELSTRA to even acknowledge that it should have. I was not that concerned until I failed to get the usual notification that my auto debit had been applied. This is why I started this saga with telstra support.

AJBC

Hi Steve - good to see that I am not the only one getting these emails. Unlike you I am not too fussed about the upgrade - my beef is that it did not happen and no one can tell me why.

LauraBee
Support Team
Support Team

Hey guys!

Over the last few months you might have seen us talk about making changes to a range of our plans (pretty much all of them!) and there are a number of reasons for that. During this, we've also made some changes to things like our systems - and we've been steadily migrating customers over to our new system for the last year. Sometimes our systems like to throw a little bit of a tantrum and some of these changes take longer than expected. Currently I can see an alert that some of our pre-paid orders are taking longer to complete. I've also had a few customers have their auto-recharge fail during the migration to the new system - definitely frustrating but thankfully it looks like getting the auto-recharge set back up stops the issue from popping back up. 

If you are concerned about these changes, or if your plan hasn't changed over when it was meant to, my best recommendation would be to touch base with the pre-paid support team through the My Telstra app, by heading to the "Get Help" tab and clicking the blue message icon. 

AJBC

Hi Laura - good to see someone at Telstra acknowledging that there is a problem. My "upgrade" was scheduled for 30 April and has yet to happen. Found that trying to get advice on this by ringing Telstra help and using the Telstra app was a complete waste of time as none of the boys and girls in Manila had the faintest idea as to what I was talking about!!

LauraBee
Support Team
Support Team

We're not able to access accounts here on Crowd Support so I'm a bit limited on specific information I can provide. If you have received notification about the plan change however, there will usually be a note or interaction on the account detailing this, so that we know how to support customers who come through with an issue, so definitely frustrating that they haven't been able to get you closer to a resolution. 

The fact that your auto-recharge failed does point towards you being migrated to our system, and it wouldn't surprise me if the plan change ticks over within the next few days once our back of house team get to the queue of orders that have had some trouble going through. I've had a bit of a hunt through the system but I can't find anything concrete on when we would be expecting this to be completed, though again our teams through the My Telstra app should be able to assist with account-specific information. 

AJBC

Thank you Laura. Yes I will be patient and hopefully it will have been sorted out before my next recharge is due.

The people in Manila were confused when I told them about the emails and phone messages I had received as they could find nothing on my file. A bit hard when the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

JanGi

I had exactly the same problem but unfortunately the auto recharge didn’t work so I guess I have lost credits etc.  Have tried several times to get on to Telstra and My Telstra account chat useless so far.

I checked my personal details and the phone number in the profile is incorrect and my address is from 20 years ago!  The only thing correct was my name and email address!!!  I really have had it with Telstra the customer service is so bad and I am not just talking about this incident.  We have had the same with NBN and Telstra Foxtel.   Hours on the phone and cannot get a straight answer from anyone!

Mroosenburg85
Level 1: Cadet

Look for other options, the only reason I am Telstra is coverage. If voda or Optus were an option I’d be there!

JanGi

I was thinking exactly that!  I might do some research on Telcos that have at least SOME customer service!!!

JanGi

My Telstra app - Get Help   I have been trying to talk to someone since yesterday afternoon.  I keep getting told someone is looking into it and “Thank you for your patience” was the last message at 7.38 last night.  OMG I want to scream.

Toriee
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @JanGi

We'd hate to see you leave. Try jumping back in to the chat asking for an update on your enquiry, that way our team will be notified that you're still waiting.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JanGi

I have retried the chat.  Now being asked what the problem is after already stating this in several messages.  I really don’t think they understand.

Toriee
Support Team
Support Team

Ah ok, that sounds pretty frustrating. It's best to keep the enquiry simple to start with. Try simply stating that you've lost Pre-Paid credits due to a failed auto-recharge, after the plan changes went through. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Steve055
Level 6: Bloodhound

When I used "Get Help" to complain about being forced to change to the new plan that gave me things that I didn't want and took away things that I needed, the person who replied appeared to have no idea that the old prepaid plans were being changed to a new prepaid plan. They also told me that I would NOT be changed to a new plan without me agreeing to it.

Well, guess what, I have been changed onto the new prepaid plan (without any agreement from me). I have lost my $170 extra credit. It was supposed to be converted to data at the exchange rate of 99c per GB. I only received 35 GB for my $170 ??  How does that equate to 99c per GB ?? The supposed new data allowance of 10 GB is still the old 2.5 GB and the supossed new data bank limit of 200 GB is still the old 100 GB.

As far as I'm concerned, the "Get Help" tab in the Telstra App just puts you into contact with people who don't have a clue about what is going on. As a Telstra customer of over 40 years, I am not happy.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more