Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

partial refund question - prepaid features phase out

"Please fill out the details in the link by 20 October 2020 to request a partial refund. We will refund the remaining balance on your service as at the date of request. Please allow up to 6 weeks for your cheque to be received.

Once refunded you will forfeit the remainder of your recharge..."

I have trouble interpreting the way the partial refund is phrased - please clarify the following:

I have in My Account stated: Balance, Recharge credit, $154.99 remaining

1. In this context - what does "partial refund" mean?

2. So, will I get 154.99 refunded?

3. If so, what does "forfeit the remainder of your recharge" mean? What remainder?

4. If not, what is the "partial refund" I can expect out of my $154.99?

Thanks for clarifying

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: partial refund question - prepaid features phase out

I was on a very old $70 365 day prepaid. The phone was only used occasionally so the $70 kept increasing which I used to buy data and for use when I travelled overseas. On a trip last year I used about $100 of my credit which effectively cost me nothing. This was a great advantage of the old plan.

So I was not happy with the lose of this facility.

I had about 2 months left on my 365 days and about $110 credit. I closed the account and received a full refund into my home bundle.

A word of caution I was told by Technical support that I would not need a new SIM card but this is not true I did need a new SIM card and support through the Telstra App to keep my old number with Telstra. Not sur what would happen if I moved to another provider.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

I just love how Telstra wants everybody to use electronic payment (preferably Direct Deposit) to pay them, but when they have to refund the customer they can only use an antiquated manual cheque system - they really have their finger on the pulse don't they!  Smiley Frustrated

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

They do use direct credit transfers to refund payments at times (I have had an agreed refund by this method), although I believe when there is larger batches of them is when they tend to use cheques. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Typically new SIM cards aren’t required for change of offers, but if you are on a very old one at times it isn’t compatible if it hasn’t been replaced (like around the decade) or if there is a weird technical issue but most of the time it wouldn’t be a requirement. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Has anyone received their partial refund yet?

I am looking to port away since it is no longer suitable for my needs. I have submitted the request since September and still no notification whatsoever. I've tried the live chat and no one able to give me a firm answer to my questions.  I am not impressed the way Telstra is handling with their prepaid customers.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I have received a full refund of my balance into my home bundle. 
I asked for this through the Telstra app

Highlighted

Oh oh. Looks like if having credit transfer to other Telstra account is faster response. Thank you for confirming. I will wait for another week before speaking to another representative since I had 6 of them and no one seems to know when the refund will be processed. 

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Hi @CcJc,

Has it been 6 week's since you requested the refund?

If you read the first post in this thread is say's "please allow up to 6 week's for your cheque to be received".

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more