SunAlwaysShines
Level 1: Cadet

Plan upgrade woes - order stuck

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone was in the same situation and what was the resolution?

As many, I was "tricked" by Telstra into lease plan (yes, I know, I should have read the fine print - done plan renewals so many times before so did not notice that was a lease contract). 

So I checked my contract details online - Keep the Device fee was $332.64 which I was prepared to pay. 

But when upgrading online - I either got lease plans again or keep the device fee was much higher.

So I tried ordering a new plan and a new phone on a plan via Telstra chat and via phone. It has been many weeks now and many hours with Telstra reps - with no progress. There is always an error with the order and it takes 24-48 hours to clear and it is still having errors. 

Here is the summary of my conversations (full log is 25 pages long). Yes I have been very patient.

May 17. Telstra rep: Rekha.
Confirmed lease contract ended. Confirmed Keep the Device fee is $332.64.

May 17. Telstra rep: Liza Mae.
Confirmed Lease Non Return fee $332.64. Website plan upgrade only gives lease plans and Non Return fee is incorrect (much higher). Several more attempts - same issue.

May 20. Telstra rep: Catherine Willa. Case 11929999.
Confirmed Lease Non Return fee $332.64.
Tried to process the order for Mobile plan $55 per month and the Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G 128GB $51.50 per month. Error with the order.
Was promised a call within 24-48h from manager to finish the order. No one called.

May 24. Telstra rep: Ryan. Case 12102749. IT Service Desk reference INC000095998677.
Confirmed Lease Non Return fee $332.64.
Tried to process the order for Mobile plan $55 per month and the Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G 128GB $51.50 per month. Error with the order.
Was offered a $300 lump sum credit. Phone cost now $64 per month.
Rep submitted request to cancel the previous order.
Was promised a call from Service Desk. No one called.
Was promised SMS upon completion. No SMS.

May 26. Telstra rep: Arnel.
Confirmed $300 credit.
Cannot process new order because the old order is still in process of being cancelled.
Was promised notification via e-mail. No e-mail received.

May 28. Telstra rep: Aimee Jessa. Case 12388415.
Confirmed $300 credit approval. Confirmed Lease Non Return fee $332.64.
Tried to process the order for Mobile plan $55 per month and the Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G 128GB $52 per month. Error with the order.
Was assured the order will go through. It did not.

June 4. Telstra rep: Russel Kevin. Case 12727282.
Was assured the order will go through this time, with the help of the manager.
Was promised notification within 24h. No notification.

June 7. Telstra rep: Krisselle.
Was assured the order will go through this time, the system finished migrating to a new system.

June 7. Called Telstra on 13 22 00. Telstra rep: Archie.
Was assured it will all be sorted. Was put on hold for 16 min and then disconnected.
Attempted another call - got disconnected.

Not sure where to from here... Looks like Telstra's support and ordering systems are flawed. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Plan upgrade woes - order stuck

You have a good history of events there...

I'd suggest that you lodge a complaint from here - https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

It may take a while (week or so) to get an initial response but with all those details, you should some sort of resolution from the process...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

If your contact said that the device retention fee was a certain amount then that is all that you are legally obliged to pay.

The situation with all of your order attempts has become quite complex.  I would suggest cancelling all orders, then going to a Telstra store and paying the retention fee and signing up to a new mobile plan on the spot.

SunAlwaysShines

The saga continues... 

June 8. Telstra rep: Elena.
The credit part was sorted. Was assured the order will go through this time, with the help of the manager.
Was promised a call back within 24-48h. 48h later - no call.

SunAlwaysShines

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I'd suggest that you lodge a complaint from here - https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Thank you for the suggestion, I might do that. 

SunAlwaysShines

@Dowser wrote:

The situation with all of your order attempts has become quite complex.  I would suggest cancelling all orders, then going to a Telstra store and paying the retention fee and signing up to a new mobile plan on the spot.

I do not have visibility of the orders, so I cannot really cancel them. One after another Telstra reps tried to do that and sometimes seem to cancel the order, then place another which is getting stuck again. 

After so much misinformation I am not really keen on going to Telstra store - prefer to have all conversations with them in writing.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more