Dabroa
Level 2: Rookie

Pre Paid Auto Recharge + 1258888 Not Working

Hi all, got a couple of issues I hope people can help me resolve.

Firstly I am trying to help my grandmother with her prepaid service. So everything relates to her phone and I am in the process of helping.

So she used to call 125 88 88 to recharge which was super convenient for her as all of her credit card details were saved and she just needed to give them a pin number to recharge. This worked last month but this month the number says "this number is not available from your service" or something like that. Does anyone know why this would happen?

Then, we tried to setup auto recharge for a more convenient way for her to recharge. But when I sign into her MyTelstra account, the option to set up auto recharge isn't there.

I've tried talking to people on Telstra's Facebook Messenger as well as the MyTelstra app but no one can help me with the above issues.

Has anyone else ever had these issues and can help me resolve them? I'm thinking I might not have authority to do this on her behalf which is why the auto recharge option won't show up in the MyTelstra app. However it will let me change her pre-paid plan and manually recharge for her using the app. Which is weird.

Alternatively, which number can I call to speak to a human about this? The automatic voice thing doesn't help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Pre Paid Auto Recharge + 1258888 Not Working

Try phoning 125 8887.

How do I recharge my Pre-Paid service?

Use the My Telstra app

1. Download or open the My Telstra app
  2. Select the Services tab, then select the mobile service you’d like to recharge
  3. Tap Recharge and follow the prompts

Use My Telstra in a browser

1. Sign in to My Telstra with your Telstra ID and password
  2. On the homepage, find the Pre-Paid service in the Account overview section, and select the Manage Pre-Paid link.
  3. Next to your service details, select Recharge now and follow the prompts.

Use recharge.telstra.com.au on your mobile

1. Go to recharge.telstra.com.au on your Pre-Paid device’s browser
  2. Enter your Pre-Paid mobile number and follow the prompts.

Source

Dabroa

Thanks but that doesn't help. It doesn't mention how to set up auto recharge. 

It is for my grandmother and she isn't tech savvy. She does use the internet or apps so needs something simple, like auto recharge. 

I followed the instructions on the telstra website to set up auto recharge and when I log into mytelstra app it doesn't come up with the option to set up auto recharge 

Dowser

Dabroa

In my last response I said I already tried that. And when I try the auto recharge option does not show up 

@Dowser wrote:

Try the instructions on the page https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/prepaid-recharge#auto-recharge

Dowser

You did not state which instructions.

I suggest that you contact Telstra Support and ask why the functionality is not showing. They can be contacted by using chat in the Get help section of the My Telstra app.

Dabroa

That was the first thing I tried. After getting put through to 4 or 5 different people the last suggestion was "try turning it off and on again"

Seems Telstra chat can't even fix their own software bugs 

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Which PrePaid offer is she on? If it's an old one (a few generations old), then Automatic Recharge may not be available.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
OMH
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same issue.

Looks like they have disabled the 1258888 number. They are probably just trying to make it difficult for prepaid to force us on to plans so tjey can rip us off. 

Dowser

@OMH wrote:

I have the same issue.

Looks like they have disabled the 1258888 number.

Are you calling that number using a Prepaid service?.

Separately, have you tried phoning 125 8887.

OMH
Level 1: Cadet

of course... the 1258887 number just points to the other 2 digital options options and do not allow for scheduled payments. Might have to explore the other providers.

Dabroa

@OMH wrote:

of course... the 1258887 number just points to the other 2 digital options options and do not allow for scheduled payments. Might have to explore the other providers.

I called telstra last week and they sent me into my closest store and said they would fix it. 

Then went into the store and the lady told me that her partner has the same issue and telstra have gone and upgraded all of the prepaid plans from older generations to the new ones. When they did this it screwed up the 1258888 number and also won't allow them to setup auto recharge. 

gerbi67
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Dabroa wrote:

@OMH wrote:

I called telstra last week and they sent me into my closest store and said they would fix it. 

Then went into the store and the lady told me that her partner has the same issue and telstra have gone and upgraded all of the prepaid plans from older generations to the new ones. When they did this it screwed up the 1258888 number and also won't allow them to setup auto recharge. 

I think the same thing is happening for my wife's phone. She has been on the same prepaid phone number for years. Both on the app and in the account from the Telstra website it says that the auto recharge is off, but at their end shows it has been enabled. The issue is that we won't be able to manage it if we want to change the amount. Did you manage to solve your problem? Cheers 

Dabroa

No still not resolved 

gerbi67

@Dabroa wrote:

No still not resolved 

No worries, thank you. Might need to switch her service to a different plan.

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Dabroa, I would suggest messaging us via our mobile app so we can look into this from an account level https://tel.st/upxadk -Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

gerbi67

Hi Angela. I hope that Dabroa is luckier than I've been as I've tried twice from the mobile app and nothing could be done apart from suggesting the obvious (uninstall the app etc.).

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

gerbi67, that doesn't sound good, was it for the same enquiry or something else? -Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

gerbi67

Similar enquiry. My wife's prepaid plan has been automatically updated and since then we have lost the ability to manage auto recharge either from the app or by logging into the account on the website.

Dabroa

Hi Angela,

I had tried this originally and they couldn't help. All that could be suggested was to go in store and they will sort it out but they weren't able to either 

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Can I get you to try the following link & tell me if it gives you the same issue https://tel.st/cbk5cv -Angela

gerbi67

@Angela_H wrote:

Can I get you to try the following link & tell me if it gives you the same issue https://tel.st/cbk5cv -Angela

Hi Angela. Same result. It shows that the auto recharge is off and when I try to set it up it comes out with this message "We’re currently unable to set your auto recharge. Please try again later."

JessicaCL
Support Team
Support Team

Hello, if you can please send us a message via this link https://tel.st/sm9yuj and mention to our team about not being able to auto recharge, they'll check this out and get it sorted.

gerbi67

@JessicaCL wrote:

Hello, if you can please send us a message via this link https://tel.st/sm9yuj and mention to our team about not being able to auto recharge, they'll check this out and get it sorted.

Thank you Jessica, I'll give it a go. How different is from the app messaging?

gerbi67

The link is to the app messaging which I've already used twice without success

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more