Level 2: Rookie

Pre paid mobile phone data charge

Have a prepaid mobile phone (Samsung) . Having problems with data usage when I receive a mms with photo attached. When I turn mobile data on to download photo my data usage goes through the roof. I don’t use phone for internet it is purely talk/text phone. Last instance on 7 May 2020 cost $26.77 simply by turning on then off.  This should not happen on this phone as it happened once before. Telstra compensating me then with free nbn for a month on my nbn/ home phone plan. I use an iPad for internet at home for nbn plan. Anyone any ideas why this is happening.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Pre paid mobile phone data charge

Hi mo18,

The Google Play Store or the Samsung App Store could be downloading updates in the background.

You need to check (while connected to your home nbn via Wi-Fi) how you're mobile phone is set to do these updates.

Have a read of the below link. In my reply I wrote how to see how your mobile phone is set to update Apps.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Data-Usage/Loosing-prepaid-data/td-p/861090

What Jupiter wrote could also help you.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more