Level 20: Director

Pre-paid service online activation attempt failure.

Answered
Good morning/afternoon/evening (depending on time of viewing) fellow Telstra subscribers and staff.

I'm very new to this forum, having just signed up, but a long time Telstra customer and no stranger to online social media in general.

I recently experienced a rather unusual problem with attempting to activate a pre-paid service which had been bought a while back and is still sitting in the box completely sealed.

Although a post-paid customer, this device/package was bought spontaneously as a result of an appealing number that was/is attached to it, and with no immediate need to activate it instantly upon purchase.

With the Expiry Date on the box being the 11th of July 2014, any logical person would assume that this service would be still valid for activation seeing we're now almost a year away from that date.

Unfortunately, the online activation system had other ideas, kindly informing me that the Service Number/Sim Serial I had entered is either invalid or already active. We know the latter isn't the case which leaves the questionable former scenario. How does a pre-paid service become 'invalid' a year before it's expiration date?

I'm guessing two possibilities, one being I'm missing something and the other suggesting there may be a technical issue with the online activation system.

Some enlightenment on this matter would be greatly appreciated and I thank any contributors in advance.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Pre-paid service online activation attempt failure.

Hi,

That is definitely strange. I would recommend speaking with our prepaid team via Live Chat so that we can get to the bottom of what is going on for you

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes, I agree it's strange. I'll give your pre-paid team a call as per your suggestion, and post the outcome on here.

Also one more question, and I'm sure the pre-paid team will no doubt answer this too, but for the benefit of other users who might be contributing or viewing this site, if I succeed in activating the pre-paid service mentioned above, is it possible to have it converted into a post-paid service and have it linked to my existing account in the future?

Your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that is possible. Having a pre-paid converted to post-paid and keeping the same phone number is a standard order type for us.

- Ben J.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi,

That is definitely strange. I would recommend speaking with our prepaid team via Live Chat so that we can get to the bottom of what is going on for you

Accepted Solution

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes, I agree it's strange. I'll give your pre-paid team a call as per your suggestion, and post the outcome on here.

Also one more question, and I'm sure the pre-paid team will no doubt answer this too, but for the benefit of other users who might be contributing or viewing this site, if I succeed in activating the pre-paid service mentioned above, is it possible to have it converted into a post-paid service and have it linked to my existing account in the future?

Your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that is possible. Having a pre-paid converted to post-paid and keeping the same phone number is a standard order type for us.

- Ben J.

Great! Thank you both. I'll contact Telstra via phone and sort out the pre-paid activation issue first and then we'll take it from there.

Not sure if customer service is offered through this medium like it is on one of your competitors' community forum website but I'm more than happy to call your Customer Support centre or even pop into a nearby Telstra shop in person.

Take good care.

Kind regards,

Support Team
Support Team

Heya,

You're most welcome. Smiley Wink

We do offer assistance, however, it'd be quicker for you to have a chat with one of our 24x7 Live Chat Consultants.

Thanks, you take care too. Smiley Happy

UPDATE:

I called the Telstra Pre-paid team today and spoke to a Customer Service Representative regarding the above issue who tried activating the service in question but to no avail. The number is valid BUT after consulting their supervisor, it was discovered that the accompanying SIM is in fact invalid and not recognised by the system.

After extensive discussion, I was given the two following options:

1) Visit a Telstra store with the invalid SIM, explain the entire situation over again to them in the hope they'll provide me with a valid replacement SIM.

2) BUY a $2 Telstra Pre-paid SIM Starter kit from any convenient stockist and have that card assigned to the service I'm trying to activate.

Seeing I've already arranged a date and time for the Customer Service Representative to call me back and action the request, I opted for the second suggestion as it's far more convenient and also, if I went into a Telstra shop, I have no doubt they'd want to perform the activation procedure themselves through their channel (for obvious commission reasons) instead of just supplying me with a replacement SIM, which would effectively equate to my time being unnecessarily consumed in having to explain everything from the beginning.

I did offer a suggestion to obtain a SIM card by having it mailed to my post-paid account's address, but that was rejected, so purely on principle, once the service is activated I'll be requesting a credit of $2 be applied to my account Smiley Tongue.

Now I've bought the $2 SIM Starter kit and will await to be contacted and hopefully finalize the activation.

I'm interested in any Telstra employee's view on this and indeed any member's opinion.

Thank you in advance dear fellow CrowdSupporters! Smiley Wink

Kind regards,

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Haemorrhoid, 

A replacement SIM card would have been provided to you at the Telstra store free of charge. 

We don't charge for replacement SIM cards. As for fixing the issue, all notes should have been on your account. It would have been a simple replacement and activation in store which doesn't cost anything. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

- Luis

Hi Luis,

Yep I know but it was actually cheaper to buy a $2 one as the Post Office is only a 30 second walk from my place. LMAO Smiley Wink

Would've cost more in petrol if I were to go to the Telstra shop. Smiley Tongue LOL

Will definitely keep you posted. It's not a crucial connection to be honest, just another addition to my collection of numbers that'll probably just be put in a drawer on a long life plan and recharged to keep it active, until I decide what to do with it.

Maybe I'll open a shop Smiley Wink how does this sound? - "Haemorrhoid's Piles of Premium Numbers" Smiley Very Happy, and get Telstra's marketing department to come up with a slogan. They did wonders with your 'blue' theme. lol. They probably got ten million bucks to come up with the idea of changing the colour of the logo. LOL!

Chat soon!

Kind regards,

Hi everyone,

Here's the update on the above scenario for anyone interested.

THE PLOT THICKENS!

As promised, I received that awaited call from the Customer Service Representative right on pre-arranged time, eager to assist with the activation in question. The new SIM card all ready to embrace it's shiney number...

Once the SIM serial was given to the Customer Service Representative, and after once again consulting a supervisor in preparation for the big number assignment, the fabulous Telstra system accepted the serial with a smile and prompted for the next step.

After being put on hold for about an hour (yes you read that correctly), I was kindly informed that we encountered an ERROR! Yes, an error.

Still calm and professional, I expressed a slight dissatisfaction but refrained from revealing any irritation due to Telstra's outstanding track record. This was in fact my very first problem in 20 years.

We then progressed back and forth whilst spending another hour on the phone discussing various aspects of my experience, until I was advised that I'd be called back after the supervisor was once again consulted.

Sure enough, the call came about 15 minutes later with no result so I proceeded to make my feelings known in a professional and civil manner, while giving some advice and requesting a system engineer be consulted (being one myself I knew at that point that the number in question was not recoverable and asked them to stop wasting my time).

Finally this got too much for the CSR and I was asked if I'd agree to speak with the supervisor directly. I accepted and spent another good 2 hours on the phone explaining things to him. I also advised him to listen to the recording for full details of the conversation between myself and the CSR for further enlightenment.

He was willing to help and finally acted upon my request (demand at that point) to consult someone higher in the number handling department.

3 hours later he called me back with his findings after consulting an engineer. AS I TOLD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE, due to a system fault/omission, the NUMBER now was not recognised by the system so guess what? I spent an entire day interacting with lovely people in some overseas call centre having bought a new SIM, only to be told the number is now the problem.

Yes, it gets better! We now supposedly have a team of engineers, number handlers and an array of other various participants 'working' on this bizarre case, whilst accumulating an abundance of unwanted essays (notes) that can't be deleted on my POST-PAID account, yes that's right, a bunch of dribble on an otherwise clean service which has nothing to do with this matter, in an attempt to solve the mystery of the elusive number.

I will be now be called back by the supervisor and advised of developments. If the number remains 'invalid' and can't be assigned to the service, I was promised a premium number free of charge. I think they still don't get it but I'll await the outcome of their investigation and see what's presented before me.

In any case though, I've requested that the 'notes' issue be escalated to a level where deletion is authorized or an instant termination of my post-paid (and other services) will follow. That's not negotiable, and I don't care if they have to create another account and transfer my number over, the fact is I want a clean profile without dribble pertaining to something that's totally separate.

It appears I was too quick to praise Telstra in some of my previous threads but I still stand by my praises at this stage as a result of a great track record, however the outcome of my current dilemma will greatly influence my overall perception and indeed my pending decisions.

Thank you all indeed for reading.

Kind regards,

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Not the best experience that we like to hear of from our customers and I hope that the escalation that is being completed can lead to this number being activated via this pre-paid service or being provided with another premium number with the charge being waived. Please let us know what does happen when you are contacted back in relation to this issue. 

As for the notes on the account they are placed on the account for our benefit so a record of your contact is required at any stage. You will not be affected by them being on the account at all and can only be viewed if you do request them to be provided from the Privacy Manager. We can provide you with these details via a PM if required. 

Hello DingoDan,

Thank you for your contribution.

Indeed I will let you all know the progress and outcome of this matter.

I can tell you now they will NOT recover that number, as I've already told them. What people don't realise is that I develop such systems for a living, some being larger and more complex than the one in question.
Without infringing upon internal operations privacy, I can say the only way to make this number available for activation again would be to create an entirely new product using those variables. Essentially 'produce' another pre-paid package ready for 'sale' with that number. Theoretically possible but practically improbable.

I'll decide on the premium number if and when it's presented to me. I've seen premium numbers that are worse than regular ones so we'll wait and see what's generated and offered.

I agree with you on the notes issue, however in this case these notes have nothing whatsoever to do with the service/profile that they're saved under but more importantly, the actual number itself to the pending service has been entered into a note which 'links' the two and is now retrievable by anyone that can access notes, such as employees (in most cases temporary) working in Telstra shops etc.

Regardless of whether it affects me personally, the fact is I may not want alternative numbers, that I may prefer to keep private, displayed on my account of a completely different service.

As for Telstra requiring a record of any customer contacting them, yes I agree but on the service for which they're being contacted. Also, they have voice recordings totalling OVER 5 HOURS in duration. Surely that's a sufficient record. I wonder if the recorders are running when customers are placed on hold. If so they even have me singing to them. Not sure about Telstra but some organisations delete recordings after a specified period of time, some keep them indefinitely. Depends on company policy.

Now if my initial online activation attempt was successful, I wouldn't have had to contact anyone, and thus not acquire notes, but due to a system fault, yes SYSTEM FAULT! Unnecessary entries resulted, one of which suggests "faulty SIM card" - inaccurate note to start with. Nothing wrong with the SIM card if the activation system doesn't recognise one of it's OWN serial numbers, nor is it a SIM fault, as we later found out, when the Telstra system fails to recognise ONE OF IT'S OWN NUMBERS. So how about a note on my account to reflect Telstra system failure? Why not that? I'd like to see something like "Our system inadequacy failed to recognise both this customer's SIM serial AND service number on a legitimate Pre-paid package with a valid expiry date." Smiley Happy That's the note I'd want on there, do you think they'll enter it? We talk of notes being for purposes of accuracy, well that's very accurate. SYSTEM SHORTFALL!

Anyway, we'll wait and see but I can guarantee you I'll have the notes removed or modified.

I once again would like to thank all forum moderators for contributing to this thread, providing expert opinions and sound advice.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Another Update:

Exactly one week has now passed and I'm still yet to be contacted by the supervisor who was going to call back THE NEXT DAY around lunchtime with any progress or an alternative number. However, I did receive a letter from Telstra, accompanied by some marketing material, to THANK ME for choosing them for my mobile service, and to advise me that my NEW CASUAL PLAN comes with no fixed contract. Smiley Very Happy

My question is WHAT NEW PLAN? I could do litte more besides laugh at this because it's become a joke, seriously!

Obviously for this to be generated they're fiddling around with something in trying to rectify/provide a solution to my issue but if I've mysteriously acquired another post-paid service... well words escape me currently, laughter replaces every one. Smiley Very Happy

I honestly couldn't even be bothered contacting customer service to enquire about this, it's just far too stupid. I bet I'll see this 'new' service pop up on my next bill with the monthly charge. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

If I could believe this is happening I'd respond accordingly, but this entire 'adventure' stemming from a measly pre-paid activation attempt is so ludicrous and hilarious that I'm just in a daze.

What has become of Telstra? The amazing phone company I grew up with. The result of privatization perhaps?

Do I now still wait to be graced by the long awaited call by his royal highness the call centre supervisor, do I call them and waste another 5 hours explaining it all again or do I simply walk into one of your opposition's store?

Is there anyone here in a managerial capacity who would have the slightest clue as to what is going on? If so I'm sure you'd be the first!

Let's see where we go from here. Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Level 2: Rookie

I'm very interested to see what comes of this investigation into the elusive number!

Nice pic Heamorrhoid Robot Very Happy

Hi Orbweavez,

Thank you for taking an interest in this extraordinary case.

We it's clearly evident that noone here will provide any assistance and it's even more clear that I won't be contacted by the supervisor with whom I spoke, or anyone else for that matter, so it appears I'll now be forced to lodge a formal complaint and have the matter escalated to a case manager who will probably do nothing which leaves the probability of taking my business elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Level 2: Rookie

Sounds like you have the customer service figured out! It wouldn't surprise me if no one follows up your complaint!
It's absurd that no one is able or willing to rectify the situation.
What boggles my mind is how Telstra created a Telstra number for a prepaid service which never expired before an activation attempt and has now some how lost the number, never to be retrieved again!
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Orbweavez,

Did you have any ref # in rgards to this? Happy to follow up this up on your behalf.

Additionally, I have sent you a PM in regards to this.

Sounds like you've had quite a debacle so far! Apologies for the inconvenience 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy Well it gets better doesn't it? I had to read that twice to believe it! Smiley Very Happy ShannonD sends Orbweavez a PM and is happy to follow up this issue on their behalf. ROTFLMAO Smiley Very Happy. I wonder if Shannon actually read the entire thread. Is it Obweavez that's having the issue? Um... Hello? Smiley Very Happy You people can't be serious! Surely.

Kind regards,

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

=S It appears Shannon got a bit confused there.

Haemorrhoid, I've just sent you a private message to hopefully get some details off you, find out what is going on with this number (and casual plan?) of yours, and get this sorted out.

-Dylan

Level 15: Special Agent

This is better than comedy channel

Hello again everyone Smiley Happy

Here's the conclusion to the sequel.

With all other avenues exhausted, there was no other choice but to lodge a formal complaint and demand the case be referred to a Telstra Case Manager, after which I was contacted by a very helpful (and well trained) representative from the Resolutions Centre in Melbourne who was assigned to handle the matter.

After in depth discussion both via email and on the phone, a resolution appeared certain to follow with virtually no objection to my requests and total agreement on their part.

The case manager honoured Telstra's promise of a gold number without question and presented me with a list of premium numbers to choose from, none of which appealed to me so I requested the option to visit a Telstra shop and find one myself before having the applicable fee waived. The request was again granted.

A week or so later I visited a Telstra shop at which I was assisted by another very helpful staff member who performed numerous number searches until one was found to my satisfaction. The number was assigned and after another quick call to my case manager, all fees were waived as promised and my account adjusted accordingly.

This once again clearly reflects Telstra's mistake of outsourcing their customer service department to off-shore call centres who in my case created this entire mess that had to be cleaned up by the resolutions department based locally. Is Telstra saving money by moving to off-shore call centres? At what cost though? Because my departure from Telstra was a certainty had it not been for an exceptionally helpful and well mannered girl in Melbourne. Trained to do her job? Absolutely, I'm not stupid or naive to customer relation procedures, but at the end of the day who cares? The customer received what they were promised and entitled to and Telstra retained a longstanding customer who would've undoubtedly taken their business elsewhere, not to mention adding another post-paid service to their account as a result.

In concluding, the complaint resolutions department did their job to perfection and the case manager, whose name I won't mention here for obvious privacy and security reasons, performed exceptionally well to prevent a customer from opting for a different service provider.

This case is now fully resolved.

Thank you all indeed for reading.

Kind regards,

Support Team
Support Team

Heya Haemorroid,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Smiley Happy

If you would like for your feedback to be forwarded to the In-Store Consultant and Case Manager, I'd be happy to organise this for you, simply contact me via private message with further details.

Thanks again, your contribution is appreciated. Smiley Wink

Hey Renee,

My pleasure. I have sent you a private message as suggested and am looking forward to hearing (or reading Smiley Tongue ) from you soon.

Cheers! Smiley Wink

Kind regards,

Level 1: Cadet

service number {number removed for privacy}  failed to activate please activate

Support Team
Support Team

Hi condog1212,

Please contact our pre-paid team via live chat at this link  http://tel.st/nxzt to get that service activated. Also make sure to not post personal or account details on this page as it is a public forum.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more