Level 1: Cadet

Pre-recorded calls from Megan at Telstra?

Hi all, this morning i have received 2 calls from a Megan at Telstra. These calls are pre-recorded saying my Telstra account has been breached and will be cut off within 24 hours.

These calls are coming on a Telstra number they just gave me last week.

Anyone else have a call from Megan?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Pre-recorded calls from Megan at Telstra?

Hi there;

Sadly - I don't have any resolutions for your problem, but I'm currently experiencing the same issue. Have tried to call Telstra - but can't get through to them - the operator keeps "blocking" me by telling me to solve this issue online. So as soon as I can get the "key words" to say to speak to an operator - I'll update!

Support Team
Support Team

The language you have described does not sound like any of our departments and we wouldn't cut off an account due to a 'breach' (whatever that is supposed to mean) in such a way. You have advised that the calls are coming from a Telstra number, what number is that?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

It's a computerised call - and as rigpiglet (the OP) states, it says my IP address has been breached and will be terminated within 24 hours. It asked me the second time to press '1' to speak to someone - but I didn't hear who due to background noise on my end. 

The first call was a mobile number 0420110797 and the second was a private caller. 

They called twice - within an hour and a half. 

Support Team
Support Team

The concept of an IP address being breached doesn't really make sense in the context of disconnecting your service on short notice. This is a relatively common scam and can definitely be ignored. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 25: The Singularity

It's definitely a scam call. Even my 14 year old son gets them on his Prepaid occasionally.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 23: Superhero

I've had 2 as well, and scammers can hijack any phone number they choose. Just hang up.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

I have received many calls from 0450 579 218. Phoned Telstra to complain and was told there is a section that handles unwanted calls but could not connect me as they were not working today. She could give me their direct number if I wanted. She was amazed when I asked her what good would that do if they were not working?

Amused that Telstra is a Communications service whose original focus was TELEPHONES, but I now find extreme difficulty in being able to actually TALK with someone. They all want to hide behind text.

Well, the direct number would be handy so that you could call back when they were working, rather than having to go through 132200 or chat again. I'm amazed that you didn't think of that.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hi all,

Just received a pre-recorded call from Megan at Telstra. She said my Telstra account had been breached and will be cut off within 24 hours. I pressed 1 and was put through to an Indian man who said he was from Telstra Technical Department at 242 Park Street Melbourne when we asked where he was calling from. He got very frustrated when I wouldn't tell him what devices we had connected. He said he knew we had a laptop connected. My husband said we didn't have a laptop connected. He then told my husband to "**bleep** off". My husband was putting our phone on hands free so I could hear the bloke as well and said to him "what did you say to me" and he again said "**bleep** off". The number came up on our phone as "out of area"..........

the calls are so blatantly artificial that I hang up with in a few seconds of the call and its usually months later before I get another scam call.

I also got 2 calls today within the past hour, one from private and the other was 0495142453

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more