Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Prepaid services phasing out and still no refund after 6 weeks

So i receiving a email on 03/09 stating that there'll be changes to my service. In particular Telstra Air and International roaming which is why I still have my prepaid service. I submitted the refund request which only notification I received was 'Thank you for submitting your response'. No email confirmation to confirm that the request has been received. Now 6 weeks later and I have yet to receive my refund cheque, also today is the last day (20/10) to submit the refund request.

I have just submitted the request again just in case but will I have to wait for another 6 weeks to find out my request didn't even get processed?

If a rep can help it'll be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Prepaid services phasing out and still no refund after 6 weeks

G'day iamTezr,   I am having the exact same problem as you are, and they make communication impossible by not having an email address (only phone calls to some Asian centres who are impossible to understand)     My problem is that my expiry will be up before I get a refund, so do I recharge or take the chance of loosing my data and money if the refund request has not gone through.     As Telstra do not wish to communicate with their customers I am going to force a reply by sending a paper letter to their head office at:

Telstra Corporation

256 Exhibition St.

Melbourne  Vic  3000

This means they will have no option but to reply.

Highlighted

Hey there Bigmacca,

If you have the Telstra App installed, try contacting support through there as well. 
I've messaged them as well but still waiting for a response. I'm just trying to find answers and it doesn't seem like anyone knows for certain. 
I've gone through a lot of the threads here and looks likes there's some Telstra rep that's going through the posts and replying so i'm hoping one would stumble through here and investigate and find out what's going on with the process. It's already bad as it is that the service we were using are being phased out that impacts many of us, but not giving us clear answers or even reassurance that things will be alright.

If a rep comes by, I hope they can also help you too before your expiry date.

Cheers.

Highlighted

@iamTezr wrote:

Hey there Bigmacca,

If you have the Telstra App installed, try contacting support through there as well. 
I've messaged them as well but still waiting for a response. I'm just trying to find answers and it doesn't seem like anyone knows for certain. 
I've gone through a lot of the threads here and looks likes there's some Telstra rep that's going through the posts and replying so i'm hoping one would stumble through here and investigate and find out what's going on with the process. It's already bad as it is that the service we were using are being phased out that impacts many of us, but not giving us clear answers or even reassurance that things will be alright.

If a rep comes by, I hope they can also help you too before your expiry date.

Cheers.

Wondering whether you have got any response from Telstra for the refund? I'm still waiting and feel frustrated

Highlighted

Still nothing from support. I've been on the chat with them since 2 weeks ago. Every time a Telstra support said they'll check and investigate and get back to me but just disappears on me. When I message for an update a new support person comes along and ask me the same thing and tells me the same thing. They'll investigate.

Now I've been through 3 different support person for the last 2 weeks and the latest Telstra rep has gone MIA as well. This is starting to get ridiculous. 

I do suggest you contact the support on your telstra app as well so you have some kind of evidence if your credit expires during the time they mess you around. Lucky my expiry isn't till next year but for those whose expiry is close, i would suggest contacting support so you have proof that you've submitted the request prior to your credit expiring.

Highlighted

Thx for ur reply, my credit expires late next year as well, but I will PM some support staff from here as the app is useless,not helpful at all

Highlighted

so after 3 weeks with 3 different Telstra support they all tend to say the same line before disappearing or cutting off the connect. "I have all the details to investigate and will get back to you'.

I'm so sick of trying to chase this up. I'm going to raise this with the telecommunication ombudsman as i can't seem to get anyone from Telstra to tell me what's happening with my refund and every single Telstra support just leave the customer hanging before cutting communication without letting them know what exactly is happening.

I hope you have had better luck. 

Highlighted

So my latest response from the support team is that my refund has been declined due to the fact when we recharge we're paying for the data allowance and any credit is a 'bonus' so they won't be refunding me any credit. What a scam. I continue topping up my service all these years to accumulate the balance for the international data packs for when I need them to travel oversea, not the 5GB data allowance they give with the recharge. So does that mean everyone that's on prepaid won't be receiving a refund because you're paying for the calls and data allowance and the credit that's on your account are counted as a 'bonus'?

It's funny that even their link says that that'll refund the remaining balance on the account:

Request a refund

If your recharge is no longer suitable without international roaming or Telstra Air, you can request a partial refund. Find out about your options here.

Please fill out the details in the link by 20 October 2020 to request a partial refund. We will refund the remaining balance on your service as at the date of request. Please allow up to 6 weeks for your cheque to be received.

Once refunded you will forfeit the remainder of your recharge and you will no longer be able to make calls or SMS and use mobile data. If you wish to continue using your service, you’ll need to recharge again.

I'll be lodging a form to the telecommunication ombudsman to get them to review the case and i think anyone that's having issues with their prepaid refund to do the same as you won't be getting any help from Telstra support.

Highlighted

@iamTezr wrote:

So my latest response from the support team is that my refund has been declined due to the fact when we recharge we're paying for the data allowance and any credit is a 'bonus' so they won't be refunding me any credit. What a scam. I continue topping up my service all these years to accumulate the balance for the international data packs for when I need them to travel oversea, not the 5GB data allowance they give with the recharge. So does that mean everyone that's on prepaid won't be receiving a refund because you're paying for the calls and data allowance and the credit that's on your account are counted as a 'bonus'?

It's funny that even their link says that that'll refund the remaining balance on the account:

Request a refund

If your recharge is no longer suitable without international roaming or Telstra Air, you can request a partial refund. Find out about your options here.

Please fill out the details in the link by 20 October 2020 to request a partial refund. We will refund the remaining balance on your service as at the date of request. Please allow up to 6 weeks for your cheque to be received.

Once refunded you will forfeit the remainder of your recharge and you will no longer be able to make calls or SMS and use mobile data. If you wish to continue using your service, you’ll need to recharge again.

I'll be lodging a form to the telecommunication ombudsman to get them to review the case and i think anyone that's having issues with their prepaid refund to do the same as you won't be getting any help from Telstra support.

WOW, I am the same situation as you, have heaps credit for the international pack. And I haven't got anything  from Telstra yet, even one word. I wouldn't be bothered to chase them any more , will follow you to lodge official complaint to TIO

Highlighted

Telstra appears to be very secretive with this PrePaid buy back.  I have also contacted support on two different occasions and have been given conflicting advice by two different agents.   I will be joining you guys with a complaint to the ombudsman.

Highlighted

I also submitted a request for refund of prepaid credit before the shutoff date of 20 October 2020. I also received the response 'Thank you for submitting your response'  without any followup/confirmation from Telstra. I am not sure but I am not aware of anyone receiving the refund for I am still waiting.

I found it all interesting that the original email came from the Community Manager - so one would assume that some protocol would have been in place to attend to the refund requests as they were submitted. This doesn't seem to have been the case. I find that for a Company the size of Telstra that their actions - rather inaction - are questionable. Are they in the business of getting rid of customers through their inaction/poor customer dealings?

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi there, if you're still waiting for further confirmation on the credit, I'd recommend sending a message through the My Telstra app https://tel.st/sl6de From here we'll have access to your account to look into this further for you. 

Let me know if you have any trouble getting through to an agent.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Good day

Due to Covid our son is stuck in a country where he cannot fly back from due to the high cost for flights and the cost of quarantine. He needs access to texts to for banking. He cannot use a local number.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more