Bingm
Level 1: Cadet

Reactivate an expired mobile number

Hi,

My mother's pre-paid mobile number has been disconnected nearly 4 months ago, and I tried to help her reactivate her number on Live Chat, but I was advised that the number can only be reactivated within 29 days after the disconnection date, because when the number gets disconnected (after 30 days) it will be forwarded to quarantine to be assign to another customer or another provider.

However, a friend of ours went to a Telstra shop, and was advised that an expired number can be reconnected within a year.  Is this true?

Another problem is that my mother is currently overseas, she can't go to a Telstra shop.  I'd like to get some advise on what she can do.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Reactivate an expired mobile number

It is correct that  the number would go into quarantine for 6 months, and no one can  access it.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

See Reclaim your phone number from a telco | ACMA for the rules around reclaiming a number.

But generally, a number goes into quarantine for 6 months, during which time you could ask to reclaim it.

The big caveat on that is if the number wasn't originally allocated to Telstra (eg was ported from another provider), it would be returned to the original provider for reissue. If that is the case, you could ask the original provider to get the number.

You will note at the bottom of the page that providers do not have to reissue the number.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Bingm
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you.

The number was originally form Telstra many years ago back in around the mid 1990's.  I don't think she has ever changed her provide, but just from post-paid to pre-paid.  My Mom didn't want to get a new number was because she has been using it for so many years.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more