Fav
Level 3: Gumshoe

'Say hello to your new Pre-Paid plan' email

Answered

Just got an email from Telstra telling me that my plan was going to change from 29 January. The email said 'Your current recharge... is the $30 30 day expiry and your new one is the $30 28 day expiry', yet in fact mine is the $50 365 day expiry which should have seen me through till June??? I'm hoping that it is just a poorly worded email and that my existing plan will continue until that date and I would then have an option to move onto a similar one, but how would I know if Telstra don't give you the opportunity to speak to anybody to clarify??? I notice they do have a 366 day plan which is going to be available, but with a 40% price hike on it which makes me wonder how they can claim the compulsory change will see me "get even better value from your plan".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: 'Say hello to your new Pre-Paid plan' email

Hi Fav,

Are you referring to a Pre-Paid mobile broadband plan?

As far as I'm aware of the only Pre-Paid plan that has a $50 recharge with 365 day's expiry is the Pre-Paid mobile broadband Data Pass (which I'm currently on).

You would hope that the wording in the Email you received is their generic wording....and you won't lose any day's expiry on your current recharge. 

You would need to discuss this with a Telstra Employee....although they might not have been informed yet about the change's to Pre-Paid plans....therefore they might not be able to tell you if you're going to lose day's on your current recharge. 

Send a message via the My Telstra App on your mobile phone (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen).

If Codi the bot replies with an irrelevant response type "I want to speak to a human".

You'll be placed in a queue for a Telstra Employee to reply to your message. 

It could take hours for the initial reply... you'll receive a notification in the App when they do reply. 

As for the price hike....Telstra presumes that customer's want more Data to use per recharge.

More Data means more $ outlay for some Pre-Paid plans. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Smiley3
Accepted Solution

Hi Fav,

Are you referring to a Pre-Paid mobile broadband plan?

As far as I'm aware of the only Pre-Paid plan that has a $50 recharge with 365 day's expiry is the Pre-Paid mobile broadband Data Pass (which I'm currently on).

You would hope that the wording in the Email you received is their generic wording....and you won't lose any day's expiry on your current recharge. 

You would need to discuss this with a Telstra Employee....although they might not have been informed yet about the change's to Pre-Paid plans....therefore they might not be able to tell you if you're going to lose day's on your current recharge. 

Send a message via the My Telstra App on your mobile phone (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen).

If Codi the bot replies with an irrelevant response type "I want to speak to a human".

You'll be placed in a queue for a Telstra Employee to reply to your message. 

It could take hours for the initial reply... you'll receive a notification in the App when they do reply. 

As for the price hike....Telstra presumes that customer's want more Data to use per recharge.

More Data means more $ outlay for some Pre-Paid plans. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Fav

Yes, as I stated originally I am on the 365 data pass plan, and thank you Cody for your advice on how I could speak to a human at Telstra. However I don't fancy waiting hours in a queue for a reply, and in any event my old tablet has an unupgradable operating system which the Telstra app will not work with. Thanks for your advice anyway. As for the price hike Telstra is wrong if it presumes I would like more data than what I signed on for, I'd prefer my annual cost to stay the same.

Fav

Oops, don't know why I called you Cody. My apology.

Smiley3

Hi Fav,

No need to apologise for calling me Codi Smiley Wink

I have re-read your original post and I still can't see where you wrote that you're on the Data Pass planSmiley Surprised

I haven't received notification yet either via email or sms saying my Data Pass plan is changing....although I have now read that Telstra are notifying customer's that are on old Pre-Paid mobile broadband plans over the next 6 month's about the change.

I now have access to the email you received regarding the change to your plan.

My sister received her email (and forwarded it to me) saying her Pre-Paid mobile broadband Data Pass ll (the plan after our's) is changing in February to the new plan. 

She's actually happy to change to the new plan. She currently recharge's $150 for 20GB with 12 month's expiry (because she wanted the unused Data to rollover).

The new plan is $70 for 40GB with 12 month's expiry...a savings of $80 for her.

Unfortunately Telstra can't please everybody. 

As we both thought, it is a generic email which starts of showing a comparison of the current $30 recharge inclusions compared to the new plans $30 inclusions. 

When you look at the email again, you need to click on the rectangle with the wording "Find out more".

This will take you to a page with information and FAQ'S about the new plan.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/update?og=b2cyPTAwMzVMMDAwMDAyTUM4VVFBV...

Under the heading "About my current recharge" click on "I have just recharged, what happens to my recharge credit and expiry date?"

I believe this answers your original question. 

Your current expiry date will still be in June next year. 

Note: if you have any accumulated Recharge Credit, this will be converted to Data. 

The below screenshot's are referring to what I've written in this post.

booknut

Hi. My email on 15 December said my plan was to change on the 19th January. I got another email on that date  to say my service had been upgraded. I am  unable to access the new plan to recharge my pre-paid broadband service even today. I presumed that being upgraded meant that the plan would be available immediately, but no. I can't even get phone support to figure it out since they think the GO plan is the latest. Obviously they have not been informed of the upgraded plans either. It would be nice to know when the new plan ($100 for 180GB 366days for instance) will be actually made available.

Smiley3

Hi @booknut,

I suggest you make copies of both the emails you received from Telstra regarding your plan change as proof of what Telstra offered you...especially the recharge amounts $70/ 40GB and $100/ 180GB.

It looks like Telstra might be going to Retract that offer to the customer's Smiley Mad

They probably realised that it was a very good offer with the $70/ 40GB and $100/ 180GB. 

I was talking to a Pre-Paid consultant on the phone yesterday regarding my sister's Pre-Paid mobile broadband plan not being automatically changed on the 5th February...she's waiting for the offer to change so she can put the $70/ 40GB recharge on. 

The consultant couldn't see that offer at her end and therefore couldn't honour it. She said to take a copy of the email to a Telstra store for them to prove the email and offer existed, then get the Telstra store Employee to contact a Pre-Paid consultant in the call centre for them to apply the new plan.

I said that the Telstra store Employee wouldn't ring the call centre, they usually tell Pre-Paid customer's to go away and ring Pre-Paid themselves. She said that the store's have a manager, speak to them.

My sister received another email regarding the plan change yesterday afternoon saying that the plan change has now been put on hold. Smiley Surprised

If Telstra aren't going to honour the plan they offered, I suppose the next few steps would be to put a formal complaint in to Telstra (and get a case manager), then contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. I'm not sure if the ACCC could help with this. 

The below is a copy of yesterday's email she received. It state's that she'll eventually receive the latest Telstra Pre-Paid broadband plan.

Hopefully that won't be $150/ 40GB and $300/ 180GB recharge's.

"

Your plan update is on hold for now.

We'll be in touch with a new date as soon as possible. 

we recently got in contact about an update on your Pre-Paid plan. We've been unable to complete this as planned, so the update has been postponed for now. We'll be in touch as soon as we can schedule a new date

You can continue to use your service as normal. When your update goes ahead, you'll still receive our latest Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband plan automatically.

booknut

Thanks for your helpful reply Smiley3. I had been through the phone consultant already, as your sister did. They gave me an email address of someone who was supposed to escalate the issue, but that was nearly two weeks ago and still not a peep. I don't know if they just can't be bothered or my emails are blocked. I tried re-contacting the pre-paid phone help again, but gave up in frustration trying to get through the automated system to a human. I'm not surprised that the plan change  has been put on hold either. Could it be that Telstra resellers have objected to prices undercutting their own offerings? Or perhaps the upgrade that was supposed to happen a couple of weekends ago really went badly and they need to try again?  Thanks again for you help. I'll certainly seriously consider approaching the solutions you have suggested.

regards

SUPERJAZA

Hi Fav, your predicament, is the same as mine.. I was on the old $50.00 for 1 year and was perfect for my situation. now that plan is gone, am stuck with the current choices. LOL

Smiley3

Hi @booknut,

Have you received a resolution for your plan's recharge problem yet?

Here's my update:

As I suspected, Telstra HAVE Retracted the original Pre-Paid mobile broadband plan they had notified the customer's via email that they were going to be changed to (because they knew it was too good a price)Smiley Mad

My sister has now received another email from Telstra showing her new date for the plan change is 4th March 2021. It now shows the recharge amounts of $150/ 40GB 366 days expiry and $300/ 180GB 366 days expiry. A big difference to what was originally offered, $70/ 40GB 366 days expiry and $100/ 180GB 366 days expiry that was dangled like a carrotSmiley Sad

I rang the ACCC to report this on behalf of my sister. The lady I spoke to has made a report on what Telstra have done. 

I told her this is happening to a lot of customer's. She's suggested to also contact the TIO to inform them of what Telstra has done.

She also suggested to contact the Consumer Protection Agency in my state (which is the South Australian Consumer and Business Service).

Before ringing the TIO you need a case number through Telstra Complaints.

My sister rang 132200, waited 45 minutes to speak to a Telstra Complaints consultant. This lady said she couldn't see the cheaper priced plan that was offered and wouldn't offer anything as compensation, so my sister said she wanted it escalated higher. 

My sister then rang a different number for Telstra Complaints- 1800 247 862. Within 5 minutes she was speaking to a very sympathetic Australian man. She explained the situation and he offered 40GB Data. As her next recharge was due this Saturday, he added another 20GB Data and extended her expiry date for 366 day's. 

I suggest anyone having the same problem to:

1. Ring ACCC to report this

2. Ringing Telstra Complaints on 1800 247 862

3. Ring TIO to report this

4. Google your state's Consumer Protection Agency to get a phone number to report this.

All the above need to know what Telstra has done to their customer's. 

SouthWest
Level 2: Rookie

I am in a similar situation as most others. I was quite happy with the $50, 365 day plan for my tablet which gave me 5 Gb of data as I only use it when I go on holidays so I can do online banking etc.

I have now (against my will) been put on a plan where to get 365 days, I have to pay a minimum of $70 and am charged at 10 cents per megabyte for data used.....so instead of previously paying 1 cent per megabyte it has been increased tenfold!  So Mr Telstra how am I better off?   Previously 5 Gb for $50 and now 700 Mb for $70.

I will be ditching it when it expires.

Smiley3

Hi @SouthWest,

Something doesn't sound right with the pricing you've written. 

Yes, the old Pre-Paid mobile broadband Data Pass plan has a $50/ 5GB 12 month expiry (I'm still on that plan myself, and haven't been notified yet that Telstra's changing my plan to the new plan).

The $70/ 700mb 12 month expiry is for the new Pre-Paid mobile phone Casual plan, not a Pre-Paid mobile broadband service. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

Is Telstra moving your Pre-Paid mobile broadband service to a Pre-Paid mobile phone plan?

SouthWest

Yes you are right Smiley....I just phoned Telstra and it is actually worse (for me anyway).

As I said, I was paying $50 for 365 days with a 5 Gb data allowance. I have two sim cards on this plan and have had them for at least 10 years which has worked well for me as I use them in an iPad and Notebook computer when I travel which is a lot these days, being in my 8th decade. It was a perfect arrangement as I never used more than 3 or 4 Gb in a year.

Telstra now tells me I have to pay $150 for 365 days (300% increase). With that I get 40 Gb of data which is of no value as I wouldn't use a tenth of that.

Good one Telstra (not).....but I will be ditching both these plans when they expire and seeking a cheaper option.

I can now see why they can afford to pay their CEO in excess of $5M per annum.......and yet the Telstra share price is the same as it was when the shares were issued back in 1998!  Wow what a great investment (not). 

Smiley3

Hi @SouthWest,

Yes, the price on the new Pre-Paid Mobile broadband plan is ridiculous compared to $50/ 5GB 12 month's expiry we are used to. Like yourself, I hardly ever used my Pre-Paid mobile broadband service, but it was handy to have a a backup. 

I presume that the Telstra consultant you spoke to didn't mention that with the new plan the unused Data doesn't rollover on a $150/ 40GB 366 day's expiry or $300/ 180GB 366 day's expiry recharge's, like it currently does with the $50/ 5GB 12 month's expiry. 

I've already looked at other providers and see 1 that is cheaper than $150 for 12 month's expiry and it has Data rollover up to 50GB.

booknut

Thanks for thinking of my case Smiley3. I have not received any further emails from Telstra about the new plan, retracted or otherwise,nor is there any evidence of my case number having been escalated.  I'm especially thankful for your info that the complaints number can actually help. I was more or less resigned to being stuck with what is essentially the old pricing - the so-called new pricing was just too good to be true.

regards

StaceyL1
Support Team
Support Team

Hi all.

It's also worth looking into our prepaid mobile plans as well, as there may be something there that suits your needs better. These SIMs can also be used in tablets, despite being called mobile plans.

On our prepaid mobile casual plan, we have some recharges that last 6 or 12 months with less data than the mobile broadband plans. You can check out these plans and recharge inclusions here - scrolling down to recharges section.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

booknut

StaceyL1, in my case I want lots of data for 12 months, so the plans you speak of are probably of  no use to me. I'm interested to see however, that despite being from support, you have not commented on the main point of contention here, namely whether Telstra intends honouring the pricing in the "new" broadband plan as described above, something I would dearly like to know before complaining to the TIO.

OllieW
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Best bet to see what we can do with the pricing will be to send us a message via the My Telstra app: https://tel.st/ttda5

Let me know how you go!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Smiley3

Hi @booknut,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Yes, Telstra have Retracted the original offer because the price was too good for the customer's Smiley Mad

No Telstra Consultant can see the original offer when looking in their systems. 

I agree with you that going on a Pre-Paid Mobile plan is going to be worse for most of the customer's posting in the thread. Why would a customer want to recharge the equivalent of $140 per year on the Pre-Paid mobile Casual plan just to get 1.4GB Data?

Most of us here are/ were recharging $50 per year for 5GB.

I'd advise you not to bother going through the My Telstra App messaging....it's quicker to ring the number above to speak to a Telstra Complaints consultant. 

Explain what Telstra had originally offered you (and not just yourself but many customer's) that they have now Retracted.

Ask for 180GB of Data added to your Account and tell them to extend your current expiry date for 1 year. Ask them what's the best they can offer you. 

If you get a consultant who isn't going to offer you something (like the first lady my sister spoke to), hang up and ring again.

The Complaints man my sister spoke to asked why she'd been recharging only $30 lately, her reply was because she didn't want to recharge $150/ 12 months on her old plan while waiting to change to the new plan which was supposed to be $100/ 180GB for 1 year. 

He said the best he could offer was 40GB. 

Then she said her recharge is due this Saturday...that's when he then added another 20GB and extend the expiry date for 1 year. Therefore she actually got 60GB Data with 1 year's expiry for free.

Louie100

I too have a similar problem as Smileys

sister, promised a new plan, in my case 180GB /$100 over 365 days, which has miraculously disappeared, no change of phone number promised yet I received an email in January stating that my number had been changed, appears to be the old number with the Australian international code in front of it, this number is not recognised by Telstra in any way shape or form. I ran short of data about a month out from my normal recharge date so decided to recharge for one month with 12GB, when the change over date arrived lost the the remaining data even though the original blurb stated that all data would roll over , many hours of online chat with Telstra help resulted in a free 12GB data pack being applied, waited until the expiry date was reached to see if the new plan would show up then as promised, ( see attached screen shots), that was today, logged in to recharge and back to square one, same deal as last year. 
I don’t have time to mess around with endless online chats and dead end  phone calls to make anything of this, and I suspect there won’t be much to gain, but it brings home the old adage “If it’s too good to be true it probably is “

booknut

Hi Louie100, you could try calling the complaints number and explain to them that you have evidence you were made the offer, no information to say it has been retracted, and that you received the Telstra email advice that  you had been moved to that new plan (complete with confusing mention of getting a "changed" number that can't be input to their systems) , then you are entitled to get a recharge according to their offer. You might be surprised.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more