Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Sharing data

Answered

We are a not for profit organisation and we need to put sim cards in our support workers tablets to use for both call, (and Texts) and data. Some people will use much more than others who are primarily using WIFI. So data sharing is a must. Is there any way, we can purchase sims on a plan like $15 month for those who use little and bigger accounts for those who need more but still data share and link them all into one account. At the moment I need about 58 - 70 but this will continue to grow as our business does.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Sharing data

Telstra Business Plans allow for data sharing.

If you want calls & SMS included, then it's going to cost a lot more than $15 (the plans start around $55). See https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/mobile-phones/mobile-plans

If you just want data on the tablets, then the plans are here https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/tablets/tablet-plans

I'm not sure what the limits on numbers are on a single account.

Given the numbers you are talking about, I would recommend getting someone to have a look at your operation and give you some advice on tailored solutions that will give you the best bang for your buck.

Start by filling out the form at https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/services/managed-services/managed-mobility-services/r... and see if they can assist.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Telstra Business Plans allow for data sharing.

If you want calls & SMS included, then it's going to cost a lot more than $15 (the plans start around $55). See https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/mobile-phones/mobile-plans

If you just want data on the tablets, then the plans are here https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/tablets/tablet-plans

I'm not sure what the limits on numbers are on a single account.

Given the numbers you are talking about, I would recommend getting someone to have a look at your operation and give you some advice on tailored solutions that will give you the best bang for your buck.

Start by filling out the form at https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/services/managed-services/managed-mobility-services/r... and see if they can assist.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hey Thanks for your advice. I will do that. This is a new project for us so a learning curve.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Are you using Apple or Android devices?

I have a fleet of Android handsets and tablets and also need to share common data between them all.  My solution to do that, is to set up each device as an individual unit, and then add a common gmail account as well. From that common gmail account I can use google drive, google photos and other shared google services, whenever I am at a remote site, I can get the latest information off that gmail account. I can also send an email to that account and every device gets it. It works on 4G and Wi-Fi connected devices. I pay for extra storage on the 'common' account. To be safe I back all that common data up to two different NAS devices for safety and quick replacement of accidentally deleted devices. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Hey Steve,

Thanks, and yes we have Android devices. Samsung Tablets. We do use that process but as we are rural, a lot of times information needs to be shared and data is required. We also need to have phone numbers associated with the tablets from a compliance and privacy point of view as the rules in our sector around that are getting tighter and we want to be ahead of the game. Fun Fun!

regards

Sandy

Highlighted

Most of my remote sites are out past rural..  Smiley Happy 

All the devices have voice and data, all have seperate numbers and sIMS, they just have an added common GMail account - so I am not sure I understand your concerns around that. They all can get signal (some not great (external antennas help that), some middling, some great) but it all works. There are a few options to share data the way you want, but sounds like you will be best served by a Business account solution, with SLA's if possible, by the sound of it.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

The only way to share data with Telstra is with a business plan, consumer plans got rid of data sharing two years ago.

Highlighted

I am not using data sharing SIMS of any kind (but I do have some consumer ones that actually are still active, and I am still being charged the same amount even though the contracts are long expired).

Stevo 52
Highlighted

My consumer SIM's share a common Data Pool, 'data pooling' was what it was called when I purchased them originally (from the original contract documents) - I see now, in My Account, they are called 'shared' service - 4 of them, still active and still with nearly 500Gb in the pool.

So that is different to what I use as described previously, where I just share the data from the devices, with no 'pooling'.  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Telstra had data sharing across services that were on compatible plans on the same account for a couple of years, but got rid of them when they introduced shaping on services instead. That data sharing ability (pooling of allowance) is only available on business plans now.

Highlighted

Correct..  as I said, when I first got those SIMs they were sold as 'Data Pooling' . personally I think that is a better description..  all the data from all the plans, goes into a big bucket that each SIM can then dip into. But some of my SIM plans are disparate - much greater dats on some to others i.e. 200 Mb to 200 Gb.. 

Stevo 52
Highlighted

It was called "Shared Data" in the product descriptions and contracts rather than data pooling, so that's what we call it. It's also what most customers knew it as.

Business/Enterprise plans originally had Data Pooling (talking 10+ years ago), but it was different. A business could buy a "pool" of data to share across its managed SIMs. SIMs could be activated or deactivated for the pooled data by the IT department as required.

Highlighted

Yes, I got those SIM's over 10 years ago (well out of contract now, but still active)..  the documentation that came with them referred to them as Data pooling SIM's - I think because they were fairly new to the non-business customers at the time.

Deploying and managing a large fleet of those SIM's (the business type) in the field was a task I took on for an employer many years ago - it wasn't easy!

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Thanks, yes that was what I was hoping for. Hmm, back to the drawing board! 

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more