Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Pre-Paid Long Life Plus - International Roaming

I just received a message that international roaming will no longer be available on long life prepaid plans from 13th Oct.

Im on the prepaid longlife plan and am overseas and need to recieve SMS messages. I dont need to make calls or use data while roaming. How can I continue to recieve text messages while overseas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Pre-Paid Long Life Plus - International Roaming

You would need to switch to a Post Paid plan. International Roaming will not be available from any Prepaid service.

You would need to contact Telstra to chat about it. You can contact them either by:

• calling 132200 (+61 439 125 109 from outside Australia)
  • sending a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should get transferred to the queue to chat with a human (it can take a few hours to get back to you - you will get a notification on your mobile when someone responds).
  • send a message to the Telstra Facebook or Twitter accounts as they are being monitored.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

I am in the same situation as stepg.

I understand there is no option to use pay-as-go for international roaming in countries applicable for the international daily pass and I have to pay $10/day and trigger the daily pass for the day when I do receive a text message?

You can disable the International Day Pass through the Addons on your plan, either through the My Telstra app or the website.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Just want to confirm - will I still be able to receive and send SMS whilst overseas if I disable the International Day Pass?

If you are on a Post Paid plan, as long as you have International Roaming enabled, you will still be able to use your phone as per normal (just be careful on the data front especially, you could end up with a nasty shock).

I am overseas now with no way of getting back before the cut off date in October, is this transition possible using the same prepaid SIM or do I need to apply online and have a new SIM sent to me ?

Level 2: Rookie

I have been trying to talk to a human all afternoon.  Keep getting cutoff and hang up.  Even on the 24/7 chatbox.  Why call it 24/7 if there is no human to talk to.  If the solution is to move to a $55 a month plan, this is just a crazy way to extract money when I only pay $70 a year for a prepaid plan.  It's fine you put this new rule in but you are not providing sensible solutions.  Worse still not helping customers.  I have messaged but got no response.

I have the exact same thing, last 4 days have to explain the exact same thing over and over. Only solution according to Telstra is moving to a $55 a month plan!

Telstra: "Like most providers, we need to do this from time to time so we can continue to meet the needs of every one of our customers"

So don't worry, they do this for us.... (Sarcasm)

I tried to 'chat' with Telstra as suggested but it seems even customer service could not answer my queries specifically. Please refer attached chat screen reply by Telstra below.

My queries are:-

1. What will happen to my existing recharge credit after 13 October?

2. If I request for a refund of existing credit, will my pre-paid number remain active after refund is done? Usually, pre-paid number remains active for 6 months after credit expires.

3. If I submit a request for refund of the existing credit today, how many days will it take for the existing credit to be removed from the mobile line?

4. I also received same message for a pre-paid mobile broadband line. What can the existing credit on the broadband line be used for after 13 October?

5. What happens to the existing data bank on the mobile broadband line if a refund is done?

I hope someone could provide some clarity on the above. Thank you.

see the response to where you posted exactly the same query

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/apple-ios/refunds/td-p/895893

I’m in the same boat and am in the middle of another hours long chat to find a solution. I also only use it for SMS and to retain my number. Their website says a new plan for this type of thing won’t roll out until mid 2021. The customer rep suggested a month by month plan at $600 pa. We have been completely blindsided and not even give enough notice to find a solution. Poor form. Very disappointed. 

Assuming that your phone is compatible, you will still be able to use your phone overseas on Prepaid, but it will only be via VoWifi and SMSoWifi (which of course means that you will need to be connected to a wifi network in order to make/receive calls/SMS.

Hi Jupiter, I have just spent 5 hours, 5.5 hours actually with Telstra chat and they don’t seem to agree. According to Telstras website, Prepaid will only be available in Australia and will phase out on the 13th October, with no new similar plan available until mid 2021. I can continue to pay $70 AUD to keep my phone number but not to continue to use it overseas. The only option is a monthly plan, the cheapest at $660 AUD pa. It reads : Accessing roaming or purchasing new data packs and recharges will no longer be an option. But if you have more information, I would really appreciate it. When I tried to do an annual top up today, it stated that it will be only be for use in Australia and my credit rolled over, which doesn’t normally happen. The customer rep said that now the credit won’t have a use by date (in order to keep my number) as long as I keep the account in credit. Although I’m not sure that is correct because the Telstra site mentions that your credit will be rolled over IF you recharge before the expiry date.  If I can receive SMS with wifi that would make me happy but I’m not sure it is going to work that way and usually I have to have roaming on to receive the SMS. Am I understanding it incorrectly? After 5 hours the rep still hasn’t been able to give me any solid advice or information and our conversation will continue when I wake up in the morning, presumably with the next shift change of customer service rep. 

Looks like you're right. They have removed the references to VoWifi and SMSoWifi from the documentation now, so it looks like a Post Paid service is now the only option to roam overseas at all.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more