Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra STEALING THOUSANDS from my Pre Paid Account.

Answered

Once again I have been cleaned out by Telstra. As I do not use my phone much at all, I joined the "keep your balance" at the end of the month option. Over the past four months I accumulated over $120.00. This amount was CLEANED OUT TODAY.

Stolen.

This is not the first time that TELSTRA has cleaned out my account at the end of the month. Over the past six years that amount of unused charges would have exceeded over a THOUSAND DOLLARS that Telstra has stripped from my account.

Surely this is nothing more than plain THEFT, theivery at it's lowest form. It disgusts me that Telstra just strips the money from a pensioner's account at the end of every month. 

How many of you out there have had their end of month balance STOLEN by Telstra.

What justification does Telstra have ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra STEALING THOUSANDS from my Pre Paid Account.

If you don't recharge by the expiry date the credit does expire. It is a part of the terms of service for prepaid. It is also the same for pretty much every prepaid service I have ever seen.

That being said, you could try speaking to PrePaid support and they may be able to reinstate it for you but it wouldn't be a normal thing.

You can call 132200 and say "prepaid" or https://livechat.telstra.com/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you don't recharge by the expiry date the credit does expire. It is a part of the terms of service for prepaid. It is also the same for pretty much every prepaid service I have ever seen.

That being said, you could try speaking to PrePaid support and they may be able to reinstate it for you but it wouldn't be a normal thing.

You can call 132200 and say "prepaid" or https://livechat.telstra.com/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yep, I know all about those 'conditions' but it DOES NOT excuse the fact that my money is stolen under the excuse of it being the "end of the MONTH"..

Meanwhile, every penny is removed. Nothing, NOT ONE SINGLE CENT is returned or compensation is offered, NOR has it EVER been offered. It is still downright theft, no matter you look at it.

Highlighted

It isn't an excuse. It is a part of the terms and conditions of the service. Ones that are as a standard required to be agreed to as a part of the activation process, and are detailed in the CIS and customer terms.

Telstra have four (4) prepaid offers available, each with different advantages and disadvantages. One of those provides recharge periods of up to 12 months, and through to prepaid plus at the other end of the spectrum which only gives you 28 days but gives more included value. Also if you recharge before the expiry date credit is usually rolled over.

I mean assume you take out a gym membership and then don't go for a month do you accuse them of theft for charging you the fees you agreed upon?

Anyway, As I said previously if you wanted to dispute it, you would need to contact Telstra Support on the details above as this is a public forum and while there are staff who monitor they are often limited in the help they can provide regarding account issues due to things like security.
Helpful Links

Highlighted

To Christian_J, You are right, and the customer should always be right in cases like these. The terms of the contract (for pre-paid phones) are not fair to customers, that's clear. Mobile phone companies should give their customers more options on pre-paid plans, with special deals and offers for pensioners. This is because 12 month contracts don't usually have all the advantages that the short-term ones have, so its not always practical to choose that kind. We pre-paid customers need more choice! Also, Telstra landline customers can ask for extra time to pay their bills. So why can't mobile phone uers do that? There are good reasons why people don't always pay their bills on time, but they shouldn't be penalised out of hand for it by any company if there's financial hardship involved. After all, its the customer's money, its paid in advance, and in good faith. So the customer should get something in return for it, or get a refund if they ask for one, when they dont use all their credit. Also, just how much of a profit does Telstra make from reclaiming their customers' un-used and roll-over credits from expired plans? I'm sure it would be in the millions! When you consider the fact that many of these hapless customers are pensioners, or on low-incomes, that not fair to them at all. Maybe the government regulator needs to step in to make sure that the disadvantaged and pensioners get a fair deal on these plans.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Amy79,

Thanks for your feedback about our current prepaid offers. Is there anything specific you would like to see included in our prepaid offers that isn't currently? I'm happy to pass on your request to our prepaid team to see if it can be introduced. 

Regarding requesting extra time in comparison with a landline service, at the end of the expiry period, you have received the service that you paid for unlike a landline where you don't pay for the use of the service until after you receive a bill. We understand that there may be circumstances that prevent our customers from being able to recharge straight away, which is why the service remains active and can receive calls and messages for up to 6 months after the credit expires. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

It would be helpful if mobile phone companies would give their pre-paid customers at least some extra time to pay. It would be fair to let pensioners, say, recharge their credit within 7 days of the expiry-date, and still not lose all their un-used/roll-over credit from the last recharge. That's not asking too much. Pensioners should have the option of a 2 month pre-paid plan, with similar benefits to other short-term plans, but a longer time to use up all their credit.
As not all pre-paid customers have received the full service that they paid for at the end of the expiry period, (that is, if they've not used all their data/credit allowance on their phone plan), this would be a better deal.
Also, please advise what happens when a pre-paid plan is not recharged before the expiry date. How can a customer reactivate the plan they were subscribed to? Thank you for considering my comments and request.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Have you had a look at our Simplicity or Long Life Offers? Both of those provide longer expiry dates for recharges and may be more suitable than other offers. You can check out all of our offers here:  http://tel.st/fflv

When a service isn't recharged before the expiry date, it doesn't get removed from the offer it was on, all that happens is the service can't be used for outgoing calls, sms, and data until it is recharged again. Once it is recharged again, the inclusions for the offer that was previously selected are automatically added based on the recharge amount.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Yes I have to agree with you just spent most of the day with 24/7 and 132200 and got nowhere just excuess that i used it $105 in 2 seconds the phone was turn off being charged  whilre checking my computer account it showed i use$105 while charging well telstra doesn't look after there customers all they are interested in is taking your money as you say stealing it I am a disabilty pensioner and they know this as i have prioty assistant on my phones and can't afford to lose the money why i only use WIFI but Telstra somehow charged me for mobile data claiming it was on even though they asked me to check and when i did it showed WIFI Only every excuess came out not to refund the credit even though they could see i don't use the data  Long time customers don't mean anything to them just grab your money and kick you when you ask why

Highlighted

I have Long Life till 6/2017 so credit was available
Highlighted

Hey shooter. If you believe the data charges are wrong and the prepaid team aren't willing to help with it, try lodge a complaint. The complaints team are usually pretty good with that sort of thing. Http://Telstra.com/complaints
Helpful Links

Highlighted

Thanks for advice will try That
Highlighted

Well contacted Complaints and no call back but this morning the Christmas grinch Telstra has decided to take another 1 cent even though the phone hasn't been used i had transfered $10 lots from my sons phone to give me some credit  only to find out not only are they charging 25 cents which is ok i find they are now helping them self to more Ok 1 cent isn't much but how often does this happen the Credit didn't run out till next year so no reason

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more