Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Try to buy activate new SIM without a mobile

Answered

Hi there, 

I had to purchase a new SIM card. I'm already with telstra and need to keep my old telstra number. Apparently to do this I need to either activate online and get a text on my number (I don't have the SIM), or call telstra (I can't get through their automated system literally hangs up on me no matter what I suggest or what option I pick and wont put me through to an operator, it the worst automated system I've ever encountered) or go to a store (I live rural). What on Earth am I meant to do? I need to keep this number and I need my phone functioning. I'm utterly stuck and utterly frustrated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Try to buy activate new SIM without a mobile

What you needed to do in this case was to get a replacement SIM sent to you.

Connect your phone to a wifi network, then:

You need to send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. You can mark the message as urgent by tapping on the 3 dots in the top right of the message screen.

You may be able to get your existing number transferred to the new SIM, but it may take a consultant with a lot of experience to do it for you and it may be easier just to get the new SIM sent out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Try to buy activate new SIM without a mobile

What you needed to do in this case was to get a replacement SIM sent to you.

Connect your phone to a wifi network, then:

You need to send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. You can mark the message as urgent by tapping on the 3 dots in the top right of the message screen.

You may be able to get your existing number transferred to the new SIM, but it may take a consultant with a lot of experience to do it for you and it may be easier just to get the new SIM sent out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more