MonsterOfCookie
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to recharge via m.telstra.com

Answered
Hi

When I go to try to top up via m.telstra.com I get the following message

Error

We cannot identify your service

I am not on WiFi, the My PrePaid app works fine until the point of recharge. I have powered off the phone, removed the simcard etc.

I have phoned up about this and I was told there is nothing wrong with my account.

Why isn't this working?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tjswinno
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to recharge via m.telstra.com

I figured out the issue, if you are using Chrome as the browser disable data compression in the settings. It is sending the data from Google's servers not from the mobile directly so it appears Telstra is not recognising it. It's only a recent addition to the browser so this issue may come up for a few people who enable it on android phones.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MonstorOfCookie,

That isn't good to hear.

Did you happen to change your APN settings since it last worked? You'll need to make sure you're using telstra.wap APN to access this service.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MonsterOfCookie

Hi Matt,

I am a new user, so haven't had to top up yet. I am using a Nexus 4 which came straight from Google. I am indeed using telstra.wap as the APN.

I can access the My PrePaid app fine whilst on the network to obtain my current balance.

Cheers

James
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Strange issue. 

I'll send you a private message with a form to complete if you wish to follow up on this.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

tjswinno

I'm having the same issue, was working fine a week ago. Not connected to wifi and APN is telstra.wap

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi tjswinno. 

Im sorry to hear that you have had troubles here. 

Please have a chat to our Pre paid support team on 1258880 (if calling from a pre paid) 132200 and say Pre paid (if calling from a non pre paid phone) or you can also Live chat online here http://tel.st/nxzt

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

tjswinno
Accepted Solution

I figured out the issue, if you are using Chrome as the browser disable data compression in the settings. It is sending the data from Google's servers not from the mobile directly so it appears Telstra is not recognising it. It's only a recent addition to the browser so this issue may come up for a few people who enable it on android phones.

View solution in original post

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks tjswinno. 

Glad to hear you got it sorted. This page will stay active so that others that have the same issue will be able to see you post.

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

MonsterOfCookie

You absolute star!

Telstra guys, you need to get this information out to the world - IMHO it should be on the same par as "Make sure you are not using Wi-Fi"
Frusttrated

I have a prepaid iPad. I have a new prepaid voucher to recharge it. $140. No matter what I do I can't get to a screen where I can put in the prepaid recharge autho number. I have tried m.telstra.com = no good. 

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Frusttrated

Are you able to recharge by logging into MyAccount?

- Matt

Noob1

I am getting the same error message but cannot find data compression in my settings.  Any other suggestions please?

Chris_G
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Noob1,

If you don't have that option I recommend contacting our prepaid chat team online here to investigate this further for you.

-Chris

Sumo

I'm using Chrome on a desktop computer which connects to internet via a 4G "air-card" with prepaid phone SIM.

I've looked through "Settings" as suggested in posted solution, and can't find anything that mentions or resembles "Data compression"... Where is it, or is there something else causes the same error message.

I am NOT on WIFI; card is plugged directly into desktop USB port.

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks @Sumo, welcome to CrowdSupport.

What happens if you try to navigate to myprepaid.telstra.com? Are you able to recharge through there?

Sumo

from myprepaid.telstra.com  i can get to the recharge page, but i don't know the phone number of my USB sim card, so can't get any further... is there a way I can get the SIM to tell me its own number?

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are connecting through the device, you shouldn't need to provide the number for it, the website should be able to detect that from the connection. Just to clarify the situation:

USB stick inserted in computer

The connection page (m.home?) says the device and service is connected.

Browsed to myprepaid.telstra.com and then followed the link to recharge

If that is the case, you shouldn't have to enter the service number, only the voucher code; the network should identify the service of its own accord.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more