Level 1: Cadet

Unlocking phne

I am trying to help my elderly father with a pre paid sim he has bought. The phone when switched on says a network unlocking code/pin is needed. It is a Samsung J2 pro and is 2.5 years old bought from Woolies. The new sim is a Woolies sim. He is not changing networks still using Telstra and his phone is more than 2 years old, I don't see what the problem is...      

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Unlocking phne

Hello 

When you bought the phone from Woolworths.. they would have sold  it as an agent of Telstra (subsidized) phone and it would be locked to Telstra. 

Your new sim service whilst also sold by Woolworths is a Woolworths service provider account... not Telstra. Woolworths is now a service provider / reselller  independent of Telstra as they (only) resell the Telstra network. I hope that explains it.  You can get  a quote from Telstra themselves to unlock it... but due to its age it might be a better investment to buy a Woolworths network reseller phone that  will accepts their own sim.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Re: Unlocking phne

Hi @hadii,

I suggest before your elderly father outlays money for a new mobile phone that you try and get the J2 Pro unlocked from Telstra. 

It won't cost anything to get it unlocked because the mobile has been active for over 2 year's. 

You'll need the IMEI number of the J2 Pro when you contact Telstra to get it unlocked.

In the below link under the heading:

You'll see information on how to find the IMEI.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/puk-code-imei-unlock-phone

You could try ringing Telstra Pre-Paid on 1258887 or 132200. If you're not an Authorised person on your father's Account then he'll have to be next to you when you're on the call to tell Telstra that he gives you permission to talk on his behalf.

If you can't get through on the phone then you would need to send a message via the My Telstra App on your mobile phone (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen).

If Codi the bot replies with an irrelevant response type "I want to speak to a consultant".

You'll be placed in a queue for a Telstra Employee to reply to your message. It could take hours for the initial reply, you'll receive a notification on your mobile phone when they reply to your message. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more