Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

When is the latest I can recharge my $40 prepaid sim card without losing remaining data?

Hi all,

I bought a $40 35GB (18GB + 17GB bonus) recently and on the My Telstra app it says "XGB remaining on NUMBER. (This device) expires in 8 days."

I take this to mean that I will lose the remaining GB at the end of the 8 days and can't make calls or texts until the next recharge. 

So it would be better if I recharged it as late as possible (e.g. on the 27th day)   

Is that right?

I saw on a previous post in this forum "A Pre-paid SIM will automatically get deactivated 6 month's after the expiry date of your last recharge." I assume this means I have an active number and so I can receive but can't make calls or texts. Is that also correct?

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: When is the latest I can recharge my $40 prepaid sim card without losing remaining data?

Hi Dirk20,

You should receive a text message from Telstra 3 day's before you're recharge is going to expire....I always do.

The text message will show you the exact Date and time that you need to recharge by. 

This is a screenshot of a message I received from Telstra on Tuesday 5th May 2020 showing me that my recharge was going to expire on the 8th May 2020. It shows that I have to recharge by 11:59:59PM AEST.

If you don't recharge by the expiry date and time you won't be able to make calls and sms or use any Data that you have in the Data Bank.

You will also forfeit any remaining Data from your last recharge....you need to put another recharge on to save unused Data into the Data Bank. 

You will be able to receive calls and sms.

You would need to recharge within 6 months of the expiry date of your last recharge otherwise your SIM will get deactivated and you'll lose your mobile phone number.

You can check the exact Date and time that you need to recharge by dialing #100# into your mobile phone....press the call button. 

Then on the line type 2 (for Balance Details) and press Send.

This will show you the Data and Time (in AEST) that you need to recharge by.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: When is the latest I can recharge my $40 prepaid sim card without losing remaining data?

Hi Smiley3,

Thank you for the detailed information and explanation.

Very helpful!

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more