AWalsh
Level 1: Cadet

Why do I need to sign up for a plan to get my deactivated number back?

I have just been told that I need to sign up for a plan to get my deactivated number back (my phone number was deactivated because I did not purchase credit while I was travelling overseas). If it's possible to do it if I sign up for a plan, it should be possible to reactivate my prepaid account, because logic dictates that you have a single register of phone numbers. It seems to me that Telstra could easily reactivate my number, but their policy is to hold my phone number hostage - and the ransom is a 24 month contract I don't want. How is this good customer service?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Why do I need to sign up for a plan to get my deactivated number back?

It's sometimes due to system limitations, I would personally suggest asking them to connect you onto a $20 Casual plan (ensure there is no contract) and then converting it to Pre-Paid after 24 hours Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Why do I need to sign up for a plan to get my deactivated number back?

If it's possible to do it if I sign up for a plan, it should be possible to reactivate my prepaid account, because logic dictates that you have a single register of phone numbers.

What is logically possible is not the same as what is operationally possible. The reason why there are new software applications (for any operating system, and in any domain – including but not limited to mobile apps) are written every day is because someone decided something is logically possible, and the current hardware and existing data would allow it, but operationally it cannot be achieved without additional and/or changes to software.

It seems to me that Telstra could easily reactivate my number, but their policy is to hold my phone number hostage - and the ransom is a 24 month contract I don't want.

Telstra's policy, in line with telecommunciations regulations and industry codes, is to hold your inactive number in quarantine for a fixed period after your service has been disconnected. The system was always designed to allow customers some room for selecting a number from an available pool if they are signing up for post-paid services (with or without a fixed minimum term contract). For pre-paid services, you get what the system assigns, or you can go through all the starter packs and look at the service number stickers on the outside of their packaging, and pick from the numbers you can see.

How is this good customer service?

The spirit of good customer service does not mean oblige service providers to make unconstrained investments of time and effort into building IT systems that can achieve every imaginable thing one or more customers could want.

Go with Ben's suggestion above, if you want the outcome. If you just want to have it your way, … I wish you good luck.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more