Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Why would Telstra take my money if my phone account can't be reactivated?

I have a pre-paid mobile. It wasn't used for over six months. I recharged it recently. Telstra took my money. They now claim on their new (and worse than the previous one, if that were possible) site, there is no mobile plan, the number doesn't exist. The new site exhorts me to login for help, but I am logged in. It begs me to chat for help. The chat doesn't work. Call an operator then, it's that easy. NOT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WORKING PHONE. This is Brasil-level deliberation to scam extra money. If you have rescinded a number, DON'T EVER TAKE MONEY FROM A CUSTOMER FOR RECHARGING THAT NUMBER. That is deliberate thievery. Telstra, you are thieves. This is not an "oopsie", in the day and age of computer oversight. Telstra and other thieves such as Virgin and Optus do this kind of thing very deliberately. Money back or recharge the number. Money back with the INTEREST (the most important part). To the Telstra FanBois (why?) frothing at my comments: a) $10 million in fines says, yes, Telstra does scam its customers, with great deliberation and forethought; b) I'm not coming back to read your (paid?) defenses of a scamming corporation. The only people who protect scammers and thieves are those who benefit from the scams and thievery.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why would Telstra take my money if my phone account can't be reactivated?

The system shouldn't let you get past the enter the number that you want to recharge stage if you were doing it from the website if the number is invalid.

You best course of action is to lodge a formal complaint via https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint
so that it will be handled by a single point of contact (plus as it is for a deactivated service it is beyond the scope of the frontline consultants).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the My Telstra app.

Find out more